Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook problem when alternating between two ISPs  (Read 2498 times)

Lennon

Outlook problem when alternating between two ISPs
« on: July 22, 2007, 09:43:31 PM »
Hi There,

I am using Windows XP and Outlook 2002. I have a wireless ISP which I use at work (Let's say ISP "A") and an ADSL2 connection at home (Let's say ISP "B"). I also have two email addresses A and B and two email accounts A and B.

If I am on ISP A I have to physically set email account A as the default in Outlook. Then when I am on ISP B I have to set the emai account B as the default. If I do not do this (or often forget to do it), the emails are not sent.

If I try to send an email when the default is set to the other account the email will not be sent and I get a system error message which says "Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged" followed by an IP Address.

Also if I am on ISP A and I receive an email through Account B, if I try to reply to it I get an error message similar to the one stated above.

What settings do I have to use on my email accounts or elsewhere so that I can send and receive emails irrespective of which ISP I am on and which account is set as the default account.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Flip81

Intermediate

• ben folds
    Re: Outlook problem when alternating between two ISPs
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 01:22:36 PM »
    This is a confusing scenario. 

If you have a default ISP for outlook, it will always try to use that ISP.  It won't manually look for another.  You'll always have to change the settings.

If I'm not mistaken, outlook (and your server for that matter) will only accept that you have one IP address at any given time. 

Correct me if I'm wrong on this guys.

Lennon

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:53:48 PM »
    Yes you are right. As I said, I have to reset the default to the ISP that I am on in order to send emails. I would like to know if there is a setting so that I do not have to keep switching the default and can send emails irrespective of which ISP I was on.

Also if I am on ISP A and I receive an email on my B account, I am not able to reply to it until I log on to my B Account.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 06:17:53 PM »
      I don't actually think the problem lies with Outlook but rather your ISPs. See many ISPs only allow users who belong to that particular ISP to use their outgoing email server. So when your are on ISP A and trying to reply to an email sent to your ISP B mail account, outlook will contact the outgoing email server for ISP B. But since your on ISP A, ISP B will not allow you to send mail through their server.

One solution would be to setup both email accounts to use a neutral server to send mail. Gmail for example can be setup to send and recieve email in Outlook.
      But all email sent through Gmail is rewritten so that it looks like it's send from your Gmail account. So for anyone receiving a mail sent this way, the mail will have a Gmail email address in the 'from' field instead of one of the two email addresses you have now.

But maybe someone else knows a better solution or an outgoing mail server that allows you to do this without it changing the email address.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Lennon

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 08:12:36 PM »
      Thanks Deerpark,

I'll look into this but would prefer an "Outlook" solution if there was one.