Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loading OS into laptop drive  (Read 2286 times)

hootie1

Loading OS into laptop drive
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
I have an old Dell Xpi laptop that accidentally wiped the hard drive (2.1 gig )I got an IDE adapter but no info on how to hook up to a desktop so I can reinstall Windows 95. Would appreciate any help I can get also I don't speak DOS so try to keep it simple.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: Loading OS into laptop drive
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 02:53:35 PM »
    Do you have a Windows 95 CD? Does the laptop have a CD drive?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Loading OS into laptop drive
    « Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 03:08:40 PM »
    It should look something like this:

Connect it to the drive first...then to the middle connector of the ribbon cable  your hard drive is connected to. Make sure your desktop hard drive is jumpered to "master w/slave present/ Then hook up the 4 pin Mollex power cable.

When you reboot you should be able to see the laptop drive in Windows Explorer...

Then power down. Unhook the ribbon cable from your internal hard drive and connect the laptop to the end connection of the ribbon cable you just removed from your desktop hard drive.
    Re-boot with the Win95 CD in and install the OS.
    There may be some hiccups when you place it in the laptop as Win95 will install generic system drivers for the desktop devices...which won't be the same as the laptop but this is normal...
    Just be ready with your laptop MBoard driver disks when you start the laptop for the first time...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "