Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Computer Fans rev up  (Read 2803 times)

Panda25

Topic Starter

Beginner
    New Computer Fans rev up
    « on: July 23, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »
    I was wondering, do all new computers rev up really fast when they first boot up?  When I press the power button I believe it's the power supply fan or some other fan that really revs up for about 5-10 seconds and then goes to a slower speed.  I've set up some new computers at work too and they rev up for 5-10 seconds and then slow down again.  What is the purpose of this?  Is there a way to stop it from doing this or is this just how new computers are set up?  (By new I mean 1 year old or less.)

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: New Computer Fans rev up
      « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 02:19:35 PM »
      I wouldn't be able to say if all newer computers do this, but yes I've noticed this too. My theory is that when you power up the computer the fan is getting full power, and therefore runs at max speed. Then the BIOS takes over and regulates it down to a more suitable level. The reason it is so noticeable on newer computers is because fans don't run at as many RPMs as they did a few years back.
      But this is just my theory... take it or leave it. :)
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)