Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot problems  (Read 2216 times)

Notposh

Boot problems
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:16:19 AM »
Hi there, stumbled on this site from google whilst looking for potential solutions to my computer problem, which is as follows:

Although it was working fine last night, this morning, out of the blue, my computer refused to boot fully. Initially it came on and stayed on but the monitor wasn't receiving a picture, so I turned off, re-set the monitor's plugs and tried again. Ever since that, when powering on the PSU fires up, the chassis fans start to whir and hard drive clicks in like normal but then everything loses power, effectively just switching itself off (this all happens over a matter of seconds before the monitor receives a picture).

I've removed and re-set all hardware (including CPU) down to the mobo and psu in an attempt to narrow down the cause, and I've more or less established that it's not getting to the point where it could be a memory/hard drive/peripheral problem, so I'm worried that it's either a dead CPU or my PSU that's developed a fault somehow.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I don't really have the means to test the CPU in another computer, and wanted to get opinions before I went around gutting other computers to see if it's a PSU problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Specs (custom built):
Asustek AM2 nForce 570 SLI ATX
AMD Athlon X2 4200
2gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
Samsung T133 400GB hdd
Geforce 7600GT
Soundcard
Wifi card
Akasa 500 watt PSU
Windows XP Pro
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 10:30:44 AM by Notposh »

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Boot problems
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:20:33 PM »
    Try another PSU first as that is about the cheapest component to replace.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

grezekel_08

Re: Boot problems
    « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:18:10 PM »
    try to replace or remove the processor fan.. or try to put paste first at the processor.. or replace processor fan..