Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad Motherboard ????????  (Read 2220 times)

wkclark2009

Bad Motherboard ????????
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:27:16 AM »
I wiped the hard drive in anticipation of installing XP Home for my wife to use because the PRO key was from my job and we wanted our own. When i attempted to install it got to the point where it asked on what partition I wanted to install but it said there were none available. I tried this with the Pro cd, same result. Then rebooting it went through its normal post memory check, it sees the new hard drive and goes through the normal PCI device listings the hardware devices, irq's etc but then halts on ACPI controller. I was able to get into the bios and set all of the specs according to the motherboard manual, no go. Tried other configurations, it didnt help.
I disconnected all non-essential hardware and just left the cd drive, harddrive and video card, still no go. I swapped memory but that wasnt it. Changed hard drive, same result. Was going to attempt a bios update but it requires a floppy drive (are these even made anymore) which i dont have, neither does anyone else i know, even at work. Now it wont even go into the bios, pressing Del to go into but it bypasses it and goes right to the PCI hardware listing. The CPU is only a year old, how do i know if its the motherboard that i need to replace?

Specs: Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8ANXP-D, 800 FSB, Intel Processor 3.2G, DDR2 PQI Ram,
Hitachi 200 Gb HDD, SATA HDD connection .

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Bad Motherboard ????????
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:23:48 PM »
    Disconnect the power supply and take out the battery on the motherboard for 15 or 20 minutes, then put it back in and reboot. 

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!