Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with computer  (Read 2438 times)

cookiedabookie

Problem with computer
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:07:09 PM »
Hey everyone. I am having a recurring problem with my computer. I began having issues after installing a new internet dsl modem. But AT&T assures me there is no way the modem is the cause of all of this (I 'm not sure how much I believe them...but maybe it was all a coincidence). I ended up having to reboot xp, because my computer wouldn't come on.

After fixing the numerous issues (or so I thought) that arose after the reboot, I began getting a "found new hardware" "pci simple communications" message at start up. I found miscellaneous drivers and install cd's for all my hardware, and the messages still come on. The only thing I haven't found my cd for yet is my dynex optical mouse, model no. DX-WOM2. The computer just today didn't start up again for the first time in about a week. I wonder if this issue is the cause.

I went to my computer's properties and device manager, and found a ? Other Devices. Clicking on that showed this message:

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

I have no idea where locations like that are found. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks for your time.

Michael

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problem with computer
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:04:39 PM »
    Usually a 'simple communications device' is your dialup modem.  Try taking it out and rebooting.  That should get rid of that error message.  Once that is done let's see what other problems arise.  If there are, then post back.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

cookiedabookie

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:05:33 PM »
    Unplug the dsl line? Or are you talking something inside the computer? Sorry, but I've never dealt with this type of thing before. Of cuorse once I know how to fix it, it will never happen again ::)
    Thanks for your help.
            Michael

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 07:49:08 PM »
      Yeah, turn the computer off, open the case, touch some metal on the case to safely discharge any static electricity, unplug the cord, find the modem, unscrew it (or unclip it, whichever yours may be), pull it straight out, put the cover back on, plug it back in, turn it on, and see if your problems go away or if something new comes up.  And forgive me this run-on sentence.

cookiedabookie

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:55:59 PM »
      Hey, I opened the case, and found out the modem is connected to the motherboard...along with two usb ports. I called my father-in-law, who recommended I look for the modem driver online, which I found and installed. When I restarted, the "found new hardware" demon had been exorcised from my computer  ;D

Thanks again for all your help.
                Michael