Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Explorer freezes intermittently  (Read 2348 times)

Shree

Windows Explorer freezes intermittently
« on: July 26, 2007, 06:46:52 AM »
Hi All!

I am on a netework of around 400 computers. OS & McAfee Antivirus is updated regularly.

I have a peculiar problem with my system.

Once or twice in every 2months it becomes nonresponsive and this condition remains unchanged for about a week. When I try to open a file from explorer or desktop, the system freezes for 3-4 minutes. This happens even when some file or shortcut is right clicked. For example If  I open excel and from excel if the file is opened it works well no freezes! The files are opened in normal way from the applications. The problem is only when launching something from the explorer or desktop. It becomes OK by itself after a week or so.

I tried to find if there are any spywares/malwares with Mcafee / symantec norton scans. No problems were reported. Defragmenting also didnot have any affect on this. I have a 160GB harddisk with 3 partitions in which a total of around 20 GB is used. My IT admin is helpless. Could someone point out what exactly could be triggering this situation and how to solve this.

Following is the SYS Info.

OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   -----------
System Manufacturer   LENOVO
System Model   82987AG
System Type   X86-based PC
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date   LENOVO 2HKT13AUS, 08/09/2006
SMBIOS Version   2.34
Windows Directory   C:\WINNT
System Directory   C:\WINNT\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale   United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name   -----------
Time Zone   Arabian Standard Time
Total Physical Memory   512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory   105.33 MB
Total Virtual Memory   2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory   1.96 GB
Page File Space   1.19 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys

endlevel

Re: Windows Explorer freezes intermittently
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:19:05 AM »
HI 2 U,

Tell me that is it happen with all Network Computers ?
As you said this problem occures once or twice in a month, and become all right by itself ... is it right ?
all Computers are connected with Internet ?

Shree

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:31:15 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for looking in to my problem.

- No it does not happen to all the computers. It is only to mine.
- Yes this problem occurs occassionally and troubles me for some days and disappears.
-Yes all computers are connected to internet.

I have shared one partition (F:\) with some of my colleagues on the network. I checked the startup processes with Autoruns utility to see if there are any suspicious processes and found none.

endlevel

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:04:39 AM »
are you suffring this prob now ?
Reply me...
If your computer goes like that again, 1st Run TASK MANAGER then open your application, keep watching on processes tab in TaskManger while opening your application, which Process takes maximum processor usage..?

Shree

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 10:50:57 PM »
No major changes in memory usage noticed. When I look at the performance monitor graph CPU usage is Zero before and after the is clicked. It shows some usage when the file opens. I suspect something which links the explorer interface is not working properly. Keeping the taskmanger with the performance tab in view and clicking the clicking the files has no effect till the file opens.