Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not being able to uninstall unwanted programmes  (Read 5189 times)

10155joe

Not being able to uninstall unwanted programmes
« on: July 26, 2007, 08:52:27 AM »
Hi, need some advice please. Could be completely wrong as my knowledge is very limited.

I recently gave my girlfriend new anti-virus software to install on her laptop (Intel Celeron, 1.6GHz, 512MB, XP). However, having done so, before able to register it after the reboot, a 'hard disk space is running low' warning is given, and then the moment that you try to do anything the system shuts down and reboots.

Easily solved so I thought, however when trying to get into 'add/remove programmes' to uninstall unwanted ones to free up space, as already stated, the whole system just shuts down and reboots. This happens continuously.
I have tried clicking on the warning in order to create space that way, however it just isn't able to clear adequate room for the system to function properly.   

How can I create enough space on the hard drive if it will not give me enough time or the opportunity by going into 'add/remove progs' to do just that?

I think the main issue may also be that there are now 2 anti-virus progs installed (should have made it clear to uninstall the old one before loading the new), but how can I remove the old one if even trying to enter the start menu causes the system to reboot?

The desktop is literally half-full of about 75 shortcut icons(!). Would deleting most, if not all, of these free up enough space to let me get on and uninstall the unwanted progs?

That's the only problem/solution that I can think of at the moment, any advice from you guys would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Not being able to uninstall unwanted programmes
    « Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:07:54 AM »
    removing the icons will help the desktop load faster but they are only around 1 kb or less so you won't get much free space out of them, but you can make a folder and put all of the icons in.

try booting into safe mode and what two antiviruses are installed??

you only need one running anti-virus anymore can cuase problems like slow computer problems detecting infections etc.

if you can remove the unneed stuff then use this guide to free more space and speed the computer up

hope i could help

unlovedwarrior

10155joe

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:21:20 AM »
    Thanks mate, will try when i get home from work tonight & post the result.

Replacing old internet provider's anti-virus package with Zonealarm.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
      ok hope your problem gets solved... it the old one macfee