Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card compatibility w/lower resolution LCD display (?)  (Read 3132 times)

usermm12

Hello - After recently purchasing a laptop, I discovered that the high resolution makes reading the tiny print impossible.  I can adjust most of the text on a page to a larger size; however, there are no adjustments available to enlarge the graphics and news captions of the home pages of a few ISPs.  Being a novice in graphics knowledge, I'd like to know if it's doable to replace the video card in the new computer w/one that supports lower resolutions.

HP Pavillion dv9000
OS - Vista
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 graphics
RAM - 2 Gigs

Is this enough information?

Thank you!

marlene

mundesley

Re: Video Card compatibility w/lower resolution LCD display (?)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 11:36:32 AM »
As far as I know laptop graphics are built into the motherboard.

Have you tried lowering the resolution in the grahichs settings?, you are probaly set to the native resolution for the monitor but it is possible to lower the resolution.

Right click on the desktop and choose "Properties"

Now select the "Settings" tab

You should now see a slider bar for the screen resolution, try moving to the left a bit at a time until you get to a resolution you are comfortable with.

usermm12

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:52:16 PM »
As far as I know laptop graphics are built into the motherboard.

Have you tried lowering the resolution in the grahichs settings?, you are probaly set to the native resolution for the monitor but it is possible to lower the resolution.

Buscrew - Thanks for responding.  Prior to posting, I tested a few resolutions and one (not the Native, of course) worked better than the others.  I'm still darn curious about why the change in Properties didn't make my ISP Home Page larger (???)

marlene 

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »
    What internet browser are you using?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

usermm12

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 02:46:01 PM »
    What internet browser are you using?

Internet Explorer...not sure how to find out the version number as I'm new (1 day) to Vista...will check it out & post it asa I find it.

marlene

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 04:00:46 PM »
      Vista... that should be IE 7.
      You can confirm this by selecting help from the menu bar and clicking About Internet Explorer. (If you can't see the menu bar, press Alt on your keyboard.)

You can increase the text size in IE by selecting View from the menu bar and select Text Size. The standard setting is medium but you could try a higher setting. Don't know if that helps with your problem.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 01:17:26 PM »
      Or hold down CTRL and move the scroll wheel on the mouse...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 02:40:44 PM »
      I can adjust most of the text on a page to a larger size; however, there are no adjustments available to enlarge the graphics and news captions of the home pages of a few ISPs. 
      The previous two posts have stated ways to control text size in your browser.  However, the only way to change the size of graphics, relative to your overall screen, is to change the resolution in your display settings.