Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Converting language of .avi file  (Read 2816 times)

touchstone57

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Converting language of .avi file
    « on: August 01, 2007, 06:32:36 AM »
    I was wandering, if there is a way to change the audio language on my .avi file.

See I downloaded a film, but the film was in Spanish which I don't understand. I wanted   
    the English version. I wandered if there is a way to change the language of it.

My friend told me it cant be done, but I'm pretty sure it can. If you can download subtitles for it there must be some way to download different language (audio), maybe you have to covert to a different file I don't know.

Please help

GX44

Hopeful
    • Never Stood A Chance!
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Converting language of .avi file
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:49:20 AM »
    This can't be done... The audio for the file is encoded along with the video, so you'd have a pretty hard time in doing this.

The subtitles are just something that runs alongside the file, its not an essential part of it.

EDITThis can't easily be done

My mistake, I meant to write that ^^

I'm no expert on A/V but I'm guessing you would have to re-encode the file with the new Endligh audio... Which, I would assume, would be very difficult to find.

But yeah, the word "downloaded" and "film" in the same sentence does sound dodgy.
    « Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 05:34:24 AM by GX44 »
    "Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Converting language of .avi file
      « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 02:13:43 PM »
      Actually it is possible, you need VirtualDubMod and an English version of the soundtrack. But I have no idea where you would get that. Actually I'm not entirely sure what you're doing is legal either... when you put downloaded and film in the same sentence you could easily get the idea that this was a pirated movie.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)