Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Alienware Computer User Hopeless!!!!!  (Read 3825 times)

Virgee

Alienware Computer User Hopeless!!!!!
« on: July 28, 2007, 10:08:25 PM »
My 14 year old son was given a hot 'n heavy computer last October as a birthday present (bad idea by grandma).  While still under factory warranty, attacked by trojan horse virus (Adaware & Spybot only at that time).  Geek Squad reformatted hard drive and all was well.  I then installed Norton 360 and all was well until the other day when he took it upon himself, without telling me that Norton Internet Security had a problem, uninstalled Norton 360 and installed and paid for BitDefender. Once Norton was uninstalled and/or BitDefender was installed, his computer stopped working.  I then took it to Computer Stop and once again they reformatted his hard drive.  He just got it back, and immediately uninstalled Vista's sidebar (gadgets).  Guess what, his computer is shot. Blue screen of death, the whole enchilada.  The computer booted up fine at the repair shop.  Other than taking the Alienware away from him until he's 35, what is with Vista and uninstalling the sidebar/gadget option? Not sure what specs to give you other than I know that it cost $2,000, including 19" monitor and 5 speaker surround-sound.  Help me PLEASE!!!! :-[

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Alienware Computer User Hopeless!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 10:18:45 PM »
Next time the geeks fix it up have them establish an account for your 14-year old, at the moment it seems he has full admin privileges which allow him to install/uninstall just about anything he wants.   In other words - put the brakes on.   But then, after all, it's his pc and maybe he should be able to do whatever he wants with it, including pay for repairs etc... ;D ::)
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Virgee

Re: Alienware Computer User Hopeless!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 11:03:25 PM »
Check.  He just spent $200 having his "Area 51" repaired.  Came out of his savings.  He didn't dare ask Grandma to help him out.  He really needs to check out and read ComputerHope.com.  Great site and lots of helpful info.  Been a member for over 2 years, but forgot my user name and/or password - whoopsie!