Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cut Paste Information  (Read 2526 times)

prabath

Cut Paste Information
« on: July 28, 2007, 12:46:55 AM »
Hi All ;),

Is there a command to find whether a file copied to a HDD is a copy pasted file or cut pasted file? an early reply is appreciated.

pabath  :)

nency.jariwala

Re: Cut Paste Information
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 12:56:13 AM »
Welcome to CH .

Pls reply what is the os of your system.

contrex

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:26:51 AM »
Is there a command to find whether a file copied to a HDD is a copy pasted file or cut pasted file? an early reply is appreciated.

You wanted an early reply, well, it's  nearly 8:30 AM here, is that early enough for you? (It is Saturday after all).

There is no command, or indeed any method whatsoever, which will show, purely by inspection of a file, if it has been copied or moved. (When you write "cut pasted" I think you mean "moved".)

I distinguish between "copied" and "moved" as follows:-

If a file is copied, an second identical version is created somewhere else and the first file remains intact.

If a file is moved, an second identical version is created somewhere else and the first file is destroyed.

nency.jariwala, what difference does the OS make?

nency.jariwala

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:33:22 AM »
I m sorry contrex. :-[
its my misunderstanding of the question.I think he asked for copy& if he has whyasked this question.
Once again sorry.

contrex

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 02:42:33 AM »
I m sorry contrex. :-[
its my misunderstanding of the question.I think he asked for copy& if he has whyasked this question.
Once again sorry.

No need to say sorry... be happy!

Have a nice day!

Be happy like in this picture

prabath

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 09:16:28 PM »
Dear Nency,

My OS is Win XP Prof...... can i weiw the sysem log files and verify whether i did cut and paste or just copy???  ???

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 09:19:56 PM »
    No, there is no log that can show you that.
    If you think you did a copy instead of cutting the file, then try and search for the file name. The you can see if you got more than one copy of it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)