Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: outlook express slow send  (Read 2794 times)

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Some have no knowledge, others thank God, have.
    outlook express slow send
    « on: July 29, 2007, 09:34:27 AM »
    Hi again,
                  I have an irritating problem with OE. When I send emails it takes up to 30 seconds to send them. This may not seem very long, however until a short time ago they went almost instantly. I have emptied folders and defragged.

Any ideas people?

Cheers,

Graham.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: outlook express slow send
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »
    How long since you compacted messages?  If not done recently, you might try that.  To compact, go to Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, click on Clean Up Now (button), and the click on Compact.  Let us know if that made a difference.

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 01:55:53 PM »
      Hi, have compacted messages and emptied folders where possible. It's still taking 30 to 45 seconds to send which seems for ever compared to what it was like before. However, receiving messages is still as quick as it was before. I suppose I can live with it but it don't seem right to me. Still, I feel better now I have had a moan. If you have any flashes of brilliance they will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Graham.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 02:01:29 PM »
      Are you sending attachments with these messages?  Does a single, simple, message containing only text take that long? 

What type of Internet connection (dialup, DLS, ...) do you have?  Have you ever done a speed test to test your Internet connection speed?

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 02:01:39 AM »
        Hi, sending simple, single text only messages takes that long.  I am using Tiscali broadband which is running at around 4 meg (says Tiscali). When I do speed tests using other line test providers it tends to vary. I have just noticed when I click on "send"  there is a message in bottom right corner, "trying to connect", once connected it goes straight away. So, it is the connecting bit that is taking the time.   ?????????
        « Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 02:45:56 AM by Graham »

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 09:27:58 AM »
        You might review your OE account settings:     Setting up Outlook Express Email.  You might try deleting your account and then setting it up from as a new account. 

Do you know other users of Tiscali broadband?  Do they have the same problem?  Can you contact Tiscali support by email or phone about this problem? 

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 03:33:04 AM »
          Hi, have done the OE sttings check. Also, have contacted Tiscali by email but guess what no reply (as yet). Thanks to all for your efforts but I become more and more convinced it is down to Tiscali rather than an OE malfunction.

Cheers,

Graham. :(

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 05:16:03 AM »
          I suspect the same...is the same lag present when you open a web page for example ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 09:38:49 AM »
            Hi, Yes it was somewhat slow in opening web pages, however, have just come in this afternoon and switched on comp. (3.35pm). Checked and sent mail and for some unknown reason it is now zooming. It is connecting and sending as quick as it ever did before. I have absolutely no idea why that should be unless the Tiscali Email fairy  has been round while I was out. I hope this speed of communication will continue(we shall see).

Thanks once again.

Graham.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 02:19:57 PM »
            They must of heard you were starting to get ticked off at them and flipped "the switch"...

;D
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "