Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No output signal from video card after rebuilding the computer  (Read 3078 times)

gushni

So my computer was up and running, and then I had to take it apart due to moving. I am trying to put it together again, but I am encountering some issues, and since I don't know much about this, I am asking you guys....

Motherboard: nForce 570 sli Intel Edition
Graphic card: Geforce 8800 GTS

So all the components have been installed again, but my screen won't turn on when starting. It's just in sleep mode, like there is no signal coming from the graphic card. While starting I can hear that everything is running and the fan on the graphic card is blowing too. I don't hear the famous pip from the computer though. I tried several screens, so it's not a screen problem. I tried all the slots in the motherboard too.

1. On my motherboard I don't have a screen input, just a COM2 port. Any ideas on how to connect the screen without using the grapic card?... so I can check the computer itself.
2. Since my computer was working previously, I recond this is a Hardware/wire/connection issue. Is it possible that something else is not working... example the hardrive... meaning the boot up doesn't work regardless of my screen.

Hope to get some inputs... Thanks
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:24:43 PM by gushni »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: No output signal from video card after rebuilding the computer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 08:10:27 PM »
How much disassembly did you do before your move?  What type of video card is it, PCI Express, AGP, or PCI?  If PCI, did you put it and any other add-on cards back in the same slots they were in prior to the move?  Have you double checked to make sure the card is properly seated in the slot?

gushni

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 02:37:04 AM »
My video card is a PCI-E it says. When disabling it I tok everything out of the box except from the Memory and CPU that was still connected to the motherboard.

I don't think it's a Video card problem anymore though, since I don't hear the famous *pip* during start-up. This means that computer itself is not starting even though everything is powered up and running...., right?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 08:35:59 AM »
One think I'm wondering is why you even did this.  Why did you disassemble the computer to move it?  The case still took as much space as it would had you not removed components.  I can understand removing the hard drive if you were worried about the computer being jarred a lot during the move.  But, otherwise, why take it apart to move?

If your card is PCI Express, you most likely only have one slot it will fit in.  Yet, you say "I tried all the slots in the motherboard too."  Hmmm, how could try a card in all slots when all slots includes different types (PCI Express, PCI, etc.) of slots?

Did you also remove the motherboard for the move?  Did you take precautions to protect the components from electrostatic discharge? 

gushni

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:57:59 AM »
haha... you are making me feel kinda stupid here Soybean.

1. My case didn't fit inside my suitcase, and the components did, so that is the reason.

2. I got 3 slots in my motherboard that looks the same and the VideoCard fits in. The difference is the speed of them.

3. I left the Computer case and I bought a new one, so everything was taken out.

4. Precautions.... uhmm ..... well.... I took the different parts out and put them back inside the original cases from supplier. Then I put them inside my suitcase which I sent in the mail from USA to Norway.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Question:
1. What is wrong when the famous *pip* doesn't come during bootup?. Can it be the main powersupply or some stuff.

Thanks Soybean for helping me out. I appreciate it !!!

Cheers

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:35:20 PM »
2. I got 3 slots in my motherboard that looks the same and the VideoCard fits in. The difference is the speed of them.
Then, your video card is a PCI card, not PCI Express.  You do not 3 of any other type slot.  You really need to get more familiar these slot types.  You motherboard looks like this, right?:

I suggest you disassemble the whole thing, read a good tutorial on putting together a computer, such as http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/, and re-build your system, using the tutorial as a guide.