Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Monitor vs. Video Card  (Read 2929 times)

lanternut

Computer Monitor vs. Video Card
« on: July 30, 2007, 09:42:55 PM »
Just wanted to double check with everone before I go out and buy a new video card.

As I'm working on the computer, from time to time my monitor will lose its signal. I have to reboot, sometimes more than one for it to pick it up again. I've pulled my monitor into my over compter and it works no prob. I'm guessing my Nvidia Gefore 7300LE that's only about 6 months old is crap? ???

Am I on the right track or... I can hit my media controls on my keyboard and it plays my itunes okay when it loses it signal by the way so it's not the comp.

Thanks for any insight!

RyanBear

Re: Computer Monitor vs. Video Card
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:04:09 PM »
Maybe the cord connecting them is old. I dunno, i have the same graphics card, with a 5 year old plasma 19 inch with the 5 year old cord too. Mine works fine.

Tge

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 04:38:50 AM »
Yes , its the video card .

Also , watch out for connected usb devices , if you overload the usb maximum current supply , the system should reset , xp gives a warning , but the apic chipset which controls power management is now , partially defective ... that kills any addon video card quick smart because power being supplied to agp can nolonger be managed correctly .

Ive seen this happen on a few systems .

Recommended action in these cases : Replace motherboard .

They will run fine with onboard video , but any high speed usb2 device will suffer in speed transfers ... usb2 capture devices suffer worst .

beanhead07

Hopeful
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 07:43:46 AM »
    Well if the monitor works fine on another computer I don't think the problem is with the cable. I'm going to have to agree with Tge on this one and say it's more than likely your video card. Do you have all the latest drivers for your video card? I'm actually having somewhat of a similar problem but when my monitor loses signal my computer completely shuts down. So I'm actually having to replace my video card but make sure you have the latest drivers before buying a new card.
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 03:22:19 PM »
    You may want to try removing the card, cleaning the contacts with a QTip and rubbing alcohol, blow out the slot with compressed air and re-seat the vid card to see if things improve...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

beanhead07

Hopeful
      « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 11:20:14 AM »
      Good call Patio. Definitely try what Patio said sometimes that's all it takes.
      If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.