Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Not booting after NEW RAM installed  (Read 3385 times)

xxXplicitP

Topic Starter

Rookie

System Not booting after NEW RAM installed
    « on: July 30, 2007, 10:00:48 PM »
    Hey, I need help with this I have an Acer Aspire ASE380-UD440A (E380) and It is capable of having up to 4 GB of RAM in it which I have 2 in their already. So I bought 1 extra 1 GB RAM stick to have 3, and it didn't work it just made some annoying bell sound when it started up, so i asked the company of the RAM sticks (PNY) and they told me for my computer I would have to install it in pairs. So I buy another 1 GB RAM stick so i'll have a total of 4 GB of RAM, and next thing you know it makes that bell sound again! Am I doing anything wrong? I mean the RAM Sticks are fully and correctly installed in with both tabs perfectly tabbed in and I bought the right type of sticks. Or is it my computer? I mean i tried the sticks by itself like 1 sticks so test it if it even worked, and it worked fine by itself and with 2, but not with 3 or 4 of them in.

Can anyone help me out?

Oh and I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: System Not booting after NEW RAM installed
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:06:30 PM »
    Check at Crucial.com and enter in your system info to make sure you got the correct RAM....
    Also check Acer's manual on that machine...you may have to make some settings changes for it to recognise the full 4G.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

xxXplicitP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 10:20:55 PM »
      Check at Crucial.com and enter in your system info to make sure you got the correct RAM....
      Also check Acer's manual on that machine...you may have to make some settings changes for it to recognise the full 4G.

Thanks for the quick response, I checked Crucial.com and it said my computer had to do this "Your system requires that you install memory in pairs." So is it ok if I have 2 of the Acer already pre-installed RAM sticks in and 2 of another brand of the same one? For instance, I'll have 2 Acer Sticks installed and 2 of the SAME PNY sticks installed?

Tge

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 04:26:02 AM »
      Have a read from this : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243570-30-upgrade

It'll give you :

About memory types supported , and what not to mix .
      Bios memory adjustment to support 4gig .
      Only linux can see the full 4 gig .

contrex

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 11:33:38 AM »
      32-bit XP has an address space of 4GB.
      However the 4GB address space has to be shared with memory used for
      other devices. So Windows (not just XP but all 32-bit versions,
      including 32-bit Vista) can't use that entire 4GB for itself.

How much it can use is around 3GB, but depends on what devices are
      installed. It's normally a little more than 3GB. So installing more
      than about 3GB of RAM is usually a waste of money.

xxXplicitP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 02:19:56 PM »
        Have a read from this : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243570-30-upgrade

It'll give you :

About memory types supported , and what not to mix .
        Bios memory adjustment to support 4gig .
        Only linux can see the full 4 gig .

I've read that and his problem is that he had a bad memory slots, but i tested each stick on every bank, and they all worked, so I don't think mine are bad. And there wasn't anything in the BIOS with that option of making it adjust to support 4 Gigs of RAM. But I did have 2 Acer sticks, 1 PNY, and 1 K Byte stick in their, So I'm going to try and get another PNY stick thats the same, so I hope that works.