Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Ports arnt working  (Read 7099 times)

wackinternational

USB Ports arnt working
« on: July 31, 2007, 09:23:47 PM »
Hey, I was just wondering whats going on with my usb ports? Ive installed the drivers from the motherboard utility cd and when I go into device manager it says both ports are working properly....but i cant use a scanner or webcam even with all the drivers and programs are installed. I am very familiar with those programs being used so its not by common error of not knowing how to use the progams. Iam not a comptuer genius so when explaing things please keep things reasonably simple.  Oh and also.... with my cam... well i plug it into the port and the little faint green light comes on the webcam to say its connected to the computer but nothing pops up on my compter like new hardware detected or anything...  I have windows 98SE but am used to windows xp. And is it a problem that i dont have the section Universal Serial Bus controllers in my device manager? But I do have a Ports (COM & LPT) section. So anyone with some help, please help me.  :'(

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: USB Ports arnt working
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:50:30 AM »
    Yes I'm pretty sure you should have a section called Universal Serial Bus controllers. Ports (COM & LPT) is something completely different that has nothing to do with your USB ports.
    Do you have some yellow question marks in your device manager?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 08:14:26 AM »
      If you don't have the USB ports in DM, then nothing you plug in will work.  You need to check the BIOS and make sure that the USB function is enabled.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Bontje

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:41:31 PM »
      Yeah i just got an old crappy IBM that had the same problem, took me a while to figure it out....(dee dee dee) but u just have to simply go into BIOS and device settings or somethin like that and enable the usb ports.

wackinternational

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 04:29:14 AM »
      There are no question marks or red marks and it all says its working properly. If that helps. Thanks

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 06:37:23 AM »
        There are no question marks or red marks and it all says its working properly. If that helps. Thanks

I thought you said that you don't have any USB showing up in DM, yet you say there are no red or yellow in DM?

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:09:40 AM »
        The chances of a cam having USB drivers for Win98 are slim to none...

Are there any USB devices that you've had success running on this machine ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 10:11:54 AM »

I thought you said that you don't have any USB showing up in DM, yet you say there are no red or yellow in DM?

Apparently, his DM shows nothing for USB.  It should, if he has USB drivers installed and perhaps, as someone mentioned, has USB enabled in the BIOS.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          « Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 03:44:07 PM »

Apparently, his DM shows nothing for USB.  It should, if he has USB drivers installed and perhaps, as someone mentioned, has USB enabled in the BIOS.

That was me  ;D

wackinternational

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 12:45:10 AM »
          Ok lol, Heres the go. My dads computer is a 2.5 gig, runs on windows 98SE....same as me except my computer has 20gigs. Anywho I have been able to setup my webcam on his OS with no troubles what so ever, The cam drivers work do work on Win98.  I just checked his device manager and he has that section serial bus controllers, yet I do not have it in my device manager section. How do I get it? Because I think thats the problem. I do have the section  Ports (COM & LPT) and I thought that may have to do with something but obviously not because it is all working properly in that section. I have no question marks, No red marks in the device manager, everything there says its working properly. I have installed the proper usb drivers..... So I think need to get that serial bus controllers section so how on earth do I do that? I know my ports are connected up inside my computer because when I plug the cam in, the little light on the cam lights up. So how do i go about getting that section? And how do I enable usb ports? Is the BIOS section the same as Device manager?

Thank u all so much for ur time and patience on this one. Becuase it is helping me heaps :o)

wackinternational

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 04:43:58 AM »
          Ok i found out how to get into the bios menu. The categories I have on the main menu are standard cmos setup. Bios features setup, chipset setup, power management, pnp/pci config, load fail safe defaults, load optimised defaults, intergrated perip, hardware monitor setup and a couple of others to do with passwords. I also have a couple of options underneath the main menu by pressing F3 for example... If this is the setup.... how do I enable usb ports? If i go into the section 'bios feautres setup' the choices are 1st boot which is set to floppy, 2nd boot set to IDE-0, 3rd boot floppy set to CDROM, S.M.A.R.T something or rather is disabled. Interrupt mode is set to PIC, Boot-up set to ON, Floppy drive seek to disabled and thats all there is in that menu apart from a couple of other things that consist of pressing F2 or F5 for example which are located to the right of the screen in another small section. so hopefully that might help! I will have a look around now and see if i can figure it out. But i doubt i will so please, by all means if u have a suggestion plz share it :o) Thank u

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
            « Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 08:51:50 AM »
            I believe your USB configuration would be in the "integrated peripherals" option. Take a look there.  If disabled, then enable it.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 03:34:29 PM »
            So you said you installed the MBoard drivers yet you still have no USB listings in Device Manager ? ?
            Did you look at all the drivers on that CD ? ?

wackinternational

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 01:14:24 PM »
            Yeah I looked at all the drivers on the cd. It had usb drivers on it and I installed them. Ill try the int perhip now and see if that helps with the issue. Sorry I havent replied in a long time, I was out of town for a while and had no net. Thanks :o)

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 01:18:32 PM »
            No Problem.