Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Interesting problem with hard drive  (Read 1917 times)

jhetsch2

Interesting problem with hard drive
« on: August 01, 2007, 12:17:11 PM »
Having a problem attempting to access and remove data stored on a 80gb laptop hard drive currently in a 2.5" hd enclosure. I'm trying to get into the documents stored under the main user which was password protected. It is from a laptop running windows XP, the laptop motherboard was turned to toast via a significant power surge that enabled dc current to flow to the mobo through a USB connection.

It was my wife's pc, my mother in law went to plug it in to charge the battery and instead of plugging the laptop's power supply into the pc she accidently plugged the power supply into the chill pad that was connected to the pc with USB. This caused the fans in the chill pad to run like small jet engines and fried the laptop.

If anyone can tell me how to make this previously password protected data accessible on the hard drive so that I can get the rest of the baby pictures of our 4 month old son off of the hd I would greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Jeff

beanhead07

Hopeful
    Re: Interesting problem with hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:41:01 PM »
    Just so I'm clear on this, do you not remember the password or have you never known the password?
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.