Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Paging file size is stubborn  (Read 2983 times)

jquin3

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Paging file size is stubborn
    « on: August 06, 2007, 02:49:05 AM »
    Hi, is there a way to keep the paging file from changing? I have windows xp and its recommended paging file size is 1534 mb in my case. If i let windows allocate it automatically I notice that it only makes the paging file about 400+ mb. So I tried to manually set the paging file at initial and maximum both at 1534 mb to no avail. I have System Mechanic 6 running and sometimes I use it to optimize my computer. Can it contribute to the problem? Sometimes when I'm playing a game, windows warns me that the virtual memory is too low.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Paging file size is stubborn
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:07:05 AM »
    Did you reboot after applying these settings?
    And do you have more than one HDD or partition?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 07:58:28 AM »
    Try setting the min and max sizes to the same number such as 1280 and apply the settings and re-boot.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jquin3

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 08:16:04 PM »
      Yeah, I have one sata drive with 2 partitions. I already did those things. I set the initial and maximum at 1534 both and always rebooted to make the changes. Will moving the paging file to the 2nd partition (not the 1st which contains my system files) do harm?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 08:18:22 PM »
      You might notice that when you enter the numbers, you also have to click "Set" and then "Apply"
      There was one time when I adjusted the settings, and couldent figure out why it wouldn't change.

If the paging file is too low, Windows will re-adjust the size and make it bigger. I don't know how this applys to running out of disk space.

One thing to ask yourself is:
      Do I really need to change the paging file size?
      How much HDD space do you have free? Is it enough?

You might also try setting the initial size to something like... 1500 and the max to 1534. I had some problems once when I tried to set the max and initial size to the same, it just didnt work on my end.

jquin3

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 01:19:23 AM »
        Zylstra, I will try again. I dont remember if I click on Set before I Apply. I normally would let Windows automatically set the paging file but on two separate occassions while playing a game I got a warning about the paging file being too low (its about 400+ mb while the recommended size is about 1534 mb). I still have about 60 gb of free space in my 1st partition so its not a problem of running out of disk space.