Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hourglass help  (Read 4253 times)

yellowrose

hourglass help
« on: November 17, 2004, 04:43:40 PM »
recently I have noticed that my hourglass keeps showing up, this happens even if I am just at the desktop and have not opened anything, I have run several online scans as well as my norton, I have done several anti spyware scans as well as adaware which I have on my pc, I have searched and searched for an answer to this but can not seem to find an answer, I have noticed that when it happens my cpu goes up to about 22%, I have looked up the definitions for all the processes I have running and they all appear legit, any answers to this would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy  thanks in advance, I installed the sp2 service pack a couple weeks ago but I am pretty sure this problems has been happening since before that install.

merlin_2

Re: hourglass help
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 05:37:53 PM »

yellowrose

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 09:40:03 AM »
Thank-you for your reply,
I don't know if sp2 is the problem, as I stated I think this has been happening before the install of sp2

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 02:17:50 PM »
for the hourglass to be shown<busy> something or someone maybe accessing your hard drive....scan for trojans>http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/  To eliminate the problem disable the SSDP service using the admin tools icon witch is in the  control panel if you cant get to control panel right click the my computer icon on your desktop and select manage from there select services and applications and services.

yellowrose

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 09:43:08 AM »
  thank-you once again for responding
I did as you said, I ran stinger, I have run it before but thought it would be a good idea to do it again anyway, I also stopped SSDP, twice actually, I just checked it again and oddly it is started once again, the problem with the curser is still there ???

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 10:04:49 AM »
You should install a decent virus and spyware scanner rather than only using Stinger.

robertmillar

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 12:54:13 PM »
You should install a decent virus and spyware scanner rather than only using Stinger.

He/she's got Norton installed mate.

Yellow rose

Uninstall SP2.  Uninstall Norton.  Re-install SP2 then re-install Norton.  Microsoft recommends uninstalling anti-virus software before installing service packs.

yellowrose

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 04:48:19 PM »
 :'(
okay I did as you said, I uninstall the sp2 and then norton and then reinstalled sp2 as well as norton, the hourglass is still popping up every couple minutes and now I have other problems, first after the reinstall of norton system works I have lost my norton internet security, I have searched my  computer and all I found was a folder for norton security but the folder was empty, I tried system restore but all my restore points are gone except for today's date, I looked in norton protected files and again only files from todays reinstalls are there, I had to go online and download a free firewall from zone alarm, which  I am sure is good but it's not norton. also when I run update for my norton anti virus it gets about 3/4 done and stalls, behind it was this message....

Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2Common Client Core 1.0.2

LiveUpdate was not able to complete this update.

Please contact Technical Support and provide all information displayed on this screen.
For contact information, go to Help->Technical Support from your Symantec product.

The files below could not be updated by LiveUpdate:
-----------------------------------
File: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\ccWebWnd.dl^
238712 Bytes 7/14/2004 21:18:08 v103.0.0.83  

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling norton again but the same thing happens and still norton internet security does not install
  helppppppppp  :'(

yellowrose

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 05:04:37 PM »
this is just reply to my own post, when I uninstalled norton it said uninstalling norton systemworks 2004,what I reinstalled was 2003, I could not figure this out but I just realized that 2004 was preinstalled on my laptop and I paid for all the updates when the trial ran out, :-[ is there a way to find preinstalled programs and retrieve them????

robertmillar

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 10:24:28 AM »
Were you given restore CDs with your computer.  Programmes are usually on the last CD in the set

yellowrose

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 04:54:04 PM »
no, I didn't get any cd's with my laptop, I do have Sony Recovery Wizard, not sure how to use it though, I did some reading and it said that updates and renewals will not be recovered, I had the trial version and then paid for the updates and years subscription, I had system works 2004 and norton internet security 2004, I don't remember if it was all in systemworks 2004 or if internet security was a separate program.

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 05:31:25 PM »
you may have contact symantec...on norton. why did you uninstall norton..dont tell ...its embeded with sp2...crafty move...i did not now about norton on your system...ooops.. reboot laptop and hit the f8 key if it applies and chose safe mode and chose the last good config.....not sure on sony stuff...weird setup..that is.. have a read of the manual.....there has to be an image of norton stored on the hard drive...unless you have formated it..which i doubt... error message =http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/3353489cd5cd08c388256c0e005a96e4/b4d0e570f3343d7788256d5800491af4?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 05:38:44 PM by merlin_2 »

yellowrose

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 07:51:40 PM »
okay I am done with Norton, I uninstalled it and now have avg free edition, and I can get the updates with this program, so that much is settled, I hate that I paid for the subscription and  they want to charge me to use tech support  >:( ( I don't think so) I'm not paying out more money when I have already paid for their sevice in the first place.!!!
AVG found a virus called trojan dropper and deleted it,
I've been sitting here for quite some time and I haven't noticed the hourglass come up so maybe the problem is fixed, we will see.
 thanks for all your help
                          yellowrose  ;)