Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shortcut won't work  (Read 5541 times)

Invader_Jedda

Shortcut won't work
« on: November 17, 2004, 11:33:42 PM »
Hey all

I have a problem in Windows XP (Home Ed.).  Recently I've had a shortcut die on me, it first became apparent in a solitaire game (SOLO) where I couldn't redeal the game with CTRL-D, I had to go to the menu.  I thought it was that game doing odd things again.

Then the problem appeared in Powerpoint, where I regularly use CTRL-D to duplicate objects.  I can't do it now without using a menu.

I tried other shortcuts - CTRL-A, CTRL-B, CTRL-F, CTRL-C, CTRL-E, etc... even CTRL-SHIFT-D (which duplicates the whole current slide).  They all work fine.  CTRL-D on its own just refuses to work.

Can anyone please help?  I'd like my machine to be normal again!  ???

Invader Jedda

Raptor

Re: Shortcut won't work
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 04:21:42 AM »
Have you set your keyboard to the appropriate language?

Invader_Jedda

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 02:42:01 AM »
From the Control Panel's Regional and Language options:

Default input language: English (United States) - US

Installed services: English (United States) - Keyboard - US

My region and location is set to Australia.  As I said, this was working fine up until recently when CTRL-D just stopped responding.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 02:50:20 AM »
you have of course scan for bugs disable system restore?....have you tried..re-boot hit the f8 key on boot and try the last good config...have a look in the events viewer.<error logs>..control panel...click the admin tools icon...what keyboard is this a standard one ?

Invader_Jedda

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 03:01:43 AM »
I'm not sure if a system restore would do the trick - I'm more interested in other ways of trying to identify what's gone wrong.

The keyboard is a standard notebook computer keyboard.  I have a Compaq Presario R3000.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 04:13:17 AM »
He told you to disable System Restore before scanning for Viruses, Trojan Horses and Spywre. Not use it.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 04:19:09 AM »
    Have you checked to make sure the keys themselves are not physically broken?

Invader_Jedda

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 02:25:47 AM »
    Have you checked to make sure the keys themselves are not physically broken?

The keys are fine.  Other CTRL shortcuts work (CTRL-A, CTRL-B, CTRL-C...), and the D key works fine.  I even tried CTRL-SHIFT-D and it works (which in Powerpoint duplicates a slide).

As for "merlin_2", sorry, I couldn't actually understand what he was saying.  I did have a look in the events viewer though, and there was nothing in there which would point to a single shortcut not working.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 04:24:10 AM »
    sorry, I couldn't actually understand what he was saying

You're not alone.  ;D

Have you disabled system restore and then scanned for Viruses, Trojan Horses and Spyware?

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 12:04:47 PM »
      Try using a friend's keyboard to see if the problem remains.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 12:31:04 PM »
      Did you change Windows' disability (Handicap) settings? Perhaps you, or someone else, has turned on sticky keys..

Invader_Jedda

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 03:23:59 AM »
      Sticky keys is not on and has never been turned on... will try an external keyboard soon to see if it makes a difference, I have one upstairs that I can plug in.