Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Word unwanted "helpful" behavior  (Read 2143 times)

garyrector

Microsoft Word unwanted "helpful" behavior
« on: August 07, 2007, 08:05:31 PM »
This may have already been answered, but I can't find it in the forum or FAQs, so here goes.

I know how to turn off auto-correct, auto-format and that sort of thing, but how can I get Microsoft Word to stop changing fonts for no apparent reason when I move the cursor to the end of a document? And when copying and pasting, how do I get Word to stop assuming that I don't want the extra space at the end of something. When I select something and include a space, I do that because I want the space to stay there.

Maybe I'm just stupid or something, but I do a lot of writing and editing for several major clients, and normally do not use Word, but I have one particular client company that *insists* that I use Word, including a certain template that they provide, so I'm stuck. Word is giving me high blood pressure. Sorry to rant.

Gary Rector

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Microsoft Word unwanted "helpful" behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »
Are you using a template?

What version of Office are you using?
(You might have to reset the default template file, I dont know how to do this)

garyrector

Re: Microsoft Word unwanted "helpful" behavior
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 01:20:49 AM »
Yes, as I mentioned, I'm using a template that the client provides. But I've checked, and it's not the template that is causing these strange behaviors. The version I'm using is 2000, but I have a friend who uses a more recent version and complains of the same annoying behavior. My preferred solution to the problem would be to get the client to let me stop using Word, but I've tried convincing the team manager in charge of the project I'm working on, and he absolutely refuses to budge. In Korea, we use Asian fonts in addition to the usual Windows fonts, so I suppose that could be part of the problem, although I can't stop using Asian fonts, obviously, or I wouldn't be able to type in Korean and Chinese characters.

Gary Rector