Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to turn off parent control as adminstrator in windows vista  (Read 4683 times)

rockoreid1

I have a brand new computer with windows vista basic :'(. I have never set a parent control on it. I am the adminstrator. I downloaded family fued 2. Whe I try to play it windows tells me no because of parent control are set.  I havent set up any account yet. I am the only user on this computer. How do I turn this off in aminstrator mode. Is there a hidden adminstration or did Compaq set this them self.  :'(

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: how to turn off parent control as adminstrator in windows vista
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 02:05:20 PM »
This should be interesting...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hahman14

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 04:32:12 PM »
have you tried turning off the UAC (User Account Control) first? Click on the Start button and type in User Accounts, then type in User Accounts; click on the button and it should give you an option in the new window to turn off UAC. Also try searching for Parental Controls in the Start button. I forget how to navigate through thosae options. I'm at work right now (Dell) but i dont have a Vista machine available at the moment

rockoreid1

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 06:10:12 PM »
Yes I turned off the UAC. I went in to parent control, but the adminstrator cant set parent control on him self. Is there a hidden way to get into adminstrator and get rid of the parent control. I dont know if windows vista came set this way. I didnt have any accounts set up.  :(

hahman14

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 04:43:50 PM »
You're right. You can't set parental control on Administrators. I know you said that you haven't created any accounts, but when you go to the User Accounts screen, what users does it let you choose from? Also have you made sure that it's the Vista parental controls and not some program installed by Compaq??

rockoreid1

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 06:33:54 PM »
It only shows adminstrator as the only user. i dont know if compaq might have set something. I cant find any program that could be a parent control software. You cant get in to adminstrator to change stuff. It has to be hidden. compaq might have set something on the adminstrator. Cant get into adminstrator to check, it must be hidden :(

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:50:53 PM »
    I'm a bit confused as to your wording -- Administrator is the only account, but you can't get into administrator to check because it's hidden?

Sign in as whoever you can.  Create a new user, create it as an adult with no restrictions, and use that as your primary account.  From there you can then change Administrator's restrictions, but it's still a good idea to not use Administrator as your primary.

rockoreid1

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 12:14:43 AM »
    That is what i did. I made a user account. I set up parent control to play all games and no restriction on anything. There is a bug in the game. It will let you play the game as a user but if you sign in as the adminstrator, it tell you you cant play because of parents control. Even tho there is no parent control in adminstrator. But if you turn off parent control on the user account, it wont let you play the game no more. Thank you guys for the help

hahman14

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 10:42:11 AM »
    wow, if you right click on the game icon and choose Run as Administrator, under any account, do you still get the weird message....also try reinstalling to see if there is an option in the game installation to bypass the parental controls.......worse come to worse, call compaq to see if they know anything