Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardive  (Read 2704 times)

rockstar4cs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Hardive
    « on: August 09, 2007, 11:25:14 PM »
    I have this hardrive all the markings are ripped off it and it works inside my computer some what. Some how it didnt have a driver for it and I was going to get one for it ,but I dont even know what brand it is. I googled some Hardrive finders and I went to one ,but I'm not sure. This one may be too old its a 15 GB hardrive small for today but anyways if anyone could help me please feel free too reply.

Richenstony

Re: Hardive
    « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 12:31:38 AM »
    1.Start

2. right click my computer click mange

3.you will be prompt with computer management

4.go down to device manger  , you will see a long list of your hardware , and components

5.click disk drives , double click the drive you see

6.what ever you see in that box is your hard drive ,  if it says WD its western digital ......

But just post it in here and i will hunt something down for you , even if its the initials , just post it , in fact you can even try google it yourself and see what you find.....

another thing that sticker is your warranty , unless it is expired , you can kiss a replacement  good bye if your HD fails.......

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:06:58 AM »
    One more thing . . . hard drives don't need drivers.

rockstar4cs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 06:24:04 AM »
      I didnt think hardrives had drivers but the thing is when I plug it in and turn it on it has windows xp on it. When I turn it on the windows XP program loads up to the start screen where it prompts me to install recommended hardware or connect to the internet so does that mean I need an update for it? I cant connect to the internet in the first place because I dont have the internet installed on that hardrive. I tryied to click cancel but it prompted me 2 seconds after I was planning on downloading a program to my keydrive and running the updated program their. I was also planning on making it a slave to my 40GB maxtor. I dont know theirs no markings on the reflective case its almost oval shaped in design not like a normal square one. no serial codes I got it from work tho and the majority of the computers are compacts thats all I can tell you about it.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 08:15:59 AM »
      So you mean it already has XP installed on the drive?
      Hook it up as a slave to your current drive and format it.