Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need a lot more space.  (Read 1900 times)

Anna ms

I need a lot more space.
« on: August 01, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »
Lately I've been working on a lot of video projects. A lot a lot. Right now I have 730 gigs of captured files for two DVD's on external hardrives.

I want to add about a terabyte. Sounds stupid and unnecessary I know, but when it comes to the times that I'm working on this much stuff it would be great.

I know Western Digital makes a terabyte external firewire hardrive for about $370. For that price I could get about 3 internal 500 gig hard drives. I only have room to expand with one.

So, what would my options be for linking my PC with another box full o' hard drives? The only thing I've heard of is serial.

thanks again

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: I need a lot more space.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
An add on PCI IDE card would give you room for 4 more IDE drives...
They are also available for SATA drives if that is the way you want to go.
I would look into some cooling options and also make sure your PSU can handle that much more.

PSU Calculator
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

laptop_guy

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 07:20:21 PM »
I would go with "patio" on this one

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 07:25:29 PM »
    Perhaps her problem is not lack of IDE channels, but physical space in the computer?

IT's not the cheapest solution, but they do make external enclosures for multiple harddrives.  I would recommend eSATA or SAS, the latter of which can be expensive, but, probably the best solution for handling large video files.  If you just wish to store the information, external USB or firewire drives aren't a bad idea.