Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp upgrade from windows millenium edition  (Read 3840 times)

rondevo

xp upgrade from windows millenium edition
« on: August 11, 2007, 05:11:41 AM »
i don't know if this is the right spot on the site to ask questions but i will anyway irecently upgraded from me to xp on a gateway computer with 17gb hard drive and when it was finished i installed norton internet security then i started getting a message from windows telling me that i didn't have enough virtual memory to run the system properly my question is how can i expand the virtual memory and make the system work properly

The Saviour

Re: xp upgrade from windows millenium edition
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 05:45:44 AM »
First of all...congratulations on your decision to go from Me to XP...wise decision...

Next...can you tell me how much memory is installed on your computer?

XP actually compensates for programs that use a lot of memory, so there is really no need to adjust your virtual memory settings, however, you may want to read below...

You may want to rethink your decision to use Norton Internet Security.  I used to be a firm supporter of Norton products...and although they do the job, they are certainly memory resource hogs.  In order to for your computer to function properly, after installing a Norton product, you'll have to purchase more memory in order for your PC's performance to improve.  This is especially true after installing any Norton product.

My recommendation would be to find other alternatives to your decision to use Norton.  There are free products out there that perform as well, if not better than, Norton products.

For example:

Antivirus:  AVG Free Edition

Spyware:  SpyBot Search and Destroy

Firewall:  Comodo

With the above in mind and your answer to how much memory you have installed on your computer...we'll be better suited to assist.

I hope you have found this information useful...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 06:40:33 AM by The Saviour »

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 08:45:24 PM »
    Virtual memory is stored on your harddrive, so, you'll need to free up some space.  I used to have XP installed on a 20 gig drive, but to keep it comfortable I would place everything else on a seperate, larger drive.

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 06:44:20 AM »
    Virtual memory is stored on your harddrive, so, you'll need to free up some space.  I used to have XP installed on a 20 gig drive, but to keep it comfortable I would place everything else on a seperate, larger drive.

Good point...

Another recommendation would be to just buy a larger hard drive like Anodoin recommended and do a clean install of XP on it.  Hopefully you also have the Me CD, just in case the XP installation is looking for a previous version of Windows.