Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: If you can solve this, you are GOD.  (Read 3057 times)

torn.jeans

If you can solve this, you are GOD.
« on: August 15, 2007, 03:22:30 PM »
I have an HP Pavilion a815n Desktop with Windows XP.

I recently updated my Anti-virus program (AVG) by going to the Grisoft site and downloading the latest free trial. After downloading it, I scanned for viruses and approx. 490 viruses were detected (various forms of Trojan, adware, WinAntiVirus, etc). However, AVG isolated these viruses in the "Virus Vault" and healed/deleted them.  A few days later, a software program I was running was not responding and the only way to turn off the computer was to manually press the power button. After it had turned off, I decided to turn the computer back on to see if it was all right, and that was when I was confronted with this error message:

"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."

I have not recently installed any hardware, and the only new software that I had installed was the free AVG trial and a computer game. These were installed several days before the error message appeared and I had experienced no problems with them.

I've tried to start in safe mode, normally and from the last good configuration. None of these work. Occasionally while trying to boot up I get a BSoD but it flashes and then the computer restarts. I managed to copy down the BSoD and it says that there is an "UNACOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". It also said to check that any new hardware/software was properly installed (which I have). In addition, it said that if problems persist, I should disable/remove any newly installed hardware/software and to disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing. But how can I remove any software if windows doesnt start up? And how can I disable BIOS memory options? If my system is infected by a virus, ideally, I'd like to do a system restore rather than  reinstall my enitre OS so is there any way I can access this feature with windows not starting up, or am I just wasting my time?

I have no clue what's wrong with it and I'm seriously lost here. Help please!!!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: If you can solve this, you are GOD.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »
I think the displayed BSOD error message is UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

Here are the MS recovery instructions.

Good luck.
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

FordDoe

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:18:04 PM »
"And how can I disable BIOS memory options?"

While booting your machine, before windows starts to load, press F1 or F10 (not sure which for your model, but HP says one of them should work) to access the BIOS configuration utility, this'll allow you to turn off shadowing and caching, but odds are that's not your problem if the machine was working and you haven't changed it since it last worked. You may want to make sure the BIOS properly recognizes your RAM and hard drive though, so it won't hurt to go in there.

As for the problem, I would try booting from your XP disc and choosing the option to repair the current installation.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

This may solve your boot problem, but it (and/or system restore) will not remove viruses, spyware, etc and I'm assuming that if you found 490, that your problem lies there. To fix these, you'll need to find a way to scan your system without booting from it, you may be able to buy an antivirus program that comes with a boot disc that'll allow you to run a scan from the CD or find a geek friend to make you a free BARTPE or WINPE boot disc or make one yourself if you have access to another computer.
check http://www.ubcd4win.com/   to make a BARTPE disc or http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/disasterrecovery/malware/default.mspx to make a WINPE boot disc or you can try 911 rescue cd http://www.911cd.net/downloads/, which looks easier to set up, but I personally haven't tried it.

good luck

robit

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:31:46 PM »
    Hi! Have you a good backup disk..... try it please
    It's not how much you know, It's how little you talk about it.