Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building a new pc soon, need some help with graphics, motherboard etc.  (Read 2525 times)

slugsbunny

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • packin' heat
    I intend to build a new pc in the near future. Right now I'm looking at parts and stuff and most likely there'll be some parts with features I've never really used before.

So far the only thing I've just about decided on is the processor - the Intel Core 2 Duo E4400. Now I do intend to salvage some parts from this pc I'm currently using such as the two IDE Hard Drives(will buy a SATA hard drive in the future), the 2 DVD optical rewritable drives and perhaps the AGP Radeon X1300 Pro Video Card which brings me to the first question.

Now one of the new parts will definitely be the motherboard and I have a hard time choosing. First I know that it has to have a LGA 775 socket (Sockect T) for the aforementioned processor. My main concern is the Graphics card because in the future I want to buy a PCI Xpress graphics card and put it in this motherboard. Is it possible for a mobo to have both PCI-X and AGP slots for graphics cards?

Now I never had a motherboard with PCI-X slots so this will be my first. I would really like to use the AGP for my current graphics card and get a PCI-X graphics card later down the line and remove the AGP graphics card when that time comes(without having to buy a new motherboard). If the answer to my question in the above paragraph is yes can you recommend some good motherboards with both PCI-X & AGP slots for graphics cards(nothing too expensive, looking for the best bang for my buck)?

That motherboard also has to have good(passable) sound built in until I get the money to buy a good sound card. As for RAM, I interested in buying 2 gigs of DDR2 but if there are DDR1 slots in the motherboard as well I could use the RAM I am currently using until I replace with DDR2 but the motherboard must have DDR2 slots.

In a few years I'll upgrade the processor to a Quad 2 Quad but it should work in the motherboard because of the processor socket right? Lastly SLI/Crossfire capability n the motherboard, it doesn't really matter to me, I doubt I'll be able to afford 2 PCI-X graphics cards and run them parallel. Just curious, is there any real performance boost in doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help.  :)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Building a new pc soon, need some help with graphics, motherboard etc.
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:57:20 AM »
    There are some motherboards with both AGP and PCI- Express but they are bit hard to find.  Here's one from newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157107