Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD drive not detected  (Read 3584 times)

Screens

CD drive not detected
« on: August 15, 2007, 12:53:49 AM »
OK, I think I have a completely unique problem, so I'm not sure if anyone can answer it.

My computer refused to boot, because of a display driver malfunction. So, I decided to reinstall Windows XP onto there, because the computer was fairly new, just a couple of months. However, the setup refused to setup the hard drive for another partition, so I decided to try setting it up on my old computer. I installed everything I replaced for my new computer onto there, and turned on the computer. It logged on blah, blah, blah, and then, it said it couldn't detect the CD drive. *censored*!!!!! So, I have no OS right now, and probably no way of installing Windows. Oh, and there is no desktop near me that I can use to reinstall Windows on the hard drive.

What a mess I'm in.

Can someone help me????

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: CD drive not detected
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 02:46:18 AM »
Assuming that you are using a genuine full version of the MS XP cd, can you not boot from the cd to install the OS?  You may have to change the boot sequence in bios to boot from the cdrom first.

From your post I think you installed the OS on one hardware system then tried to boot it on another (?) - it just doesn't work that way.

A few details of your computer(s) would help us diagnose your problem, if there is one. 
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Screens

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 02:52:38 PM »
Never mind, screw everything I said.

BIOS and everything else is fine, including the hardware, EXCEPT for the my NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT graphics DRIVER. Is there anyway to reset the graphics card to factory settings, in MS-DOS?

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 04:11:53 PM »
    No, You'll have to start up in safe mode.
    There you can uninstall/reinstall the driver or whatever you need to do.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 07:26:48 PM »
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish here ? ?
    How about some specs on the machine in question...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "