Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Odd problem -- impossible to diagnose  (Read 3071 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Odd problem -- impossible to diagnose
    « on: August 17, 2007, 12:07:40 PM »
    At least, not with anything I know of. :(

When I boot my computer, sometimes -- *sometimes* -- when I get to the WinXP splash screen, a BSOD will flash for a second, then my computer will reboot. Here's the odd part: Subsequent boots never have the BSOD. At this point, I'm thinking "*censored*?". I can't really troubleshoot if I can't even see the BSOD, can I?

Problem is, I'm having this problem more and more often. I'm seriously considering wiping the Kubuntu drive (nothing major on it, anyway) and moving my important files over, followed closely by a hard drive wipe. Before I do something this drastic, however, I'd like to know if there are any measures I can take first.

Specs:
    Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3700+
    Graphics card: nVidia e-GeForce 7800 GS
    RAM: 3 GB DDR
    HDD: Maxtor 200 GB
    HDD 2:  Maxtor 60GB (Kubuntu Linux)
    Sound card:  Creative SB0410 SB Live! 24-bit Sound Card PCI
    Speakers: Bose Companion 2
    Keyboard:  Ideazon Zboard
    Mouse:  Ideazon Reaper
    Mousepad:  Keyboard tray
    Optical drive:  LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S
    Optical drive 2: SONY CD-ROM CDU5232
    Optical drive 3: CE7265N YEN941W SCSI CdRom Device
    Display: 17" Norcent LCD
    Case: Unknown ($100, temp, VU and fan speed readout)
    Power Supply: Unknown (came with box)
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

Re: Odd problem -- impossible to diagnose
      « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:57:27 PM »
      Aah! It died!

GRUB errors... can't read WinXP drive... Failure reading XP Disc... I'm screwed. Time to start over. >:(

contrex

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:58:48 PM »
      At least, not with anything I know of. :(

When I boot my computer, sometimes -- *sometimes* -- when I get to the WinXP splash screen, a BSOD will flash for a second, then my computer will reboot. Here's the odd part: Subsequent boots never have the BSOD. At this point, I'm thinking "*censored*?". I can't really troubleshoot if I can't even see the BSOD, can I?

Straight off the top of my head, this sounds like hardware, HDD or RAM, or conceivably PSU. Thermal related, a RAM module not quite snug when cold but OK a minute later as it warms?, a loose power connector maybe to a disk drive, a damaged or loose IDE/SATA cable, that sort of thing. At least I would try to eliminate each thing. There is a program called Memtest that can test your RAM for errors. Also I'd do a thorough Scandisk on my boot drive.

Are you saying that now and then the first boot of the day throws a bsod when you get to the Windows XP splash with the animated blue bar? Right at the start of that, or part way through? And after that later boots are OK?

Is there anything in the Event Log (Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer) that ties in with the times it happens? If it happens after the event logging service is started up, there may be clues in there. A certain service or driver every time, comparing logs of good boots with logs of bad ones? A warning such as "disk error"? Maybe even a summary of the bsod message.

Event ID 6009 seems to be the first thing recorded, then you can see later events until the bsod maybe...

I would certainly have a look around inside the case

contrex

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:04:44 PM »
      Oh well, one of my guesses was right. People do say Maxtors run hot. I had one bite the dust a few months back, it had a partition for my XP swap file, it wasn't until it started clicking at any swap activity and freezing the machine that I came out of hardware-failure-denial.

The event log was full of red "error" icons.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 02:43:18 PM »
        :(

I'm on mother's lappy right now. I need a new hdd, looking at Seagates. 350 GB for $75. Not bad. I really don't need that much space, but I can't find anything smaller. Crap, I'm gonna be out a *very* nice computer for a few weeks.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »
          Yipee! 300 GB SATA formatting as I speak! I'll be back on the Net in a day or two. :)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 04:58:36 PM »
            Oy. I am a living Windows "Est. Time Left" counter. I always overestimate. I'm back on the Net, all old protections up and running. Time to see if I can slave my old hdd and get files off of it, then it's history.

Anyone know a good way to destroy an old hdd so noone takes the data? ;)

contrex

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 05:02:44 PM »
            Oy. I am a living Windows "Est. Time Left" counter. I always overestimate. I'm back on the Net, all old protections up and running. Time to see if I can slave my old hdd and get files off of it, then it's history.

Anyone know a good way to destroy an old hdd so noone takes the data? ;)

Is that Peter Noone you're worried about? Out of Herman's Hermits? No one else?  ;)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »
              Uh... wha?

No, I just don't want anyone else getting their hands on my stuff. Ah, forget it. BB gun works well. :)

I'm getting the data off that old hdd now. I have no further use for a dying 200GB hdd when my new one is another 100 GB yet, but I'd rather not have personal data in the hands of strangers as I chuck this. :)

contrex

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 01:30:22 AM »
              Uh... wha?

You wrote "noone" when I think you meant "no one". Peter Noone was a famous 1960s singer in a band called Herman's Hermits, and his name is usually brought up by *censored* spelling professors in such circumstances.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 07:46:18 AM »
              They're fun to take apart...smash with a sledgehammer...melt in a blast furnace etc. etc.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

contrex

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 07:50:44 AM »
              They're fun to take apart...smash with a sledgehammer...melt in a blast furnace etc. etc.

I believe the CIA procedure for the most sensitive data involves melting the platters in a crucible in front of witnesses.