Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleting or moving files, ERROR msg  (Read 4829 times)

ken

Deleting or moving files, ERROR msg
« on: November 21, 2004, 09:20:50 AM »
I'm using win xp home edition.  Whenever i try to modify a file, such as delete it or move it, I get an error message saying "Cannot delete FILENAME.xxx. It is being used by another person or program.  Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."  

For example, right now i'm trying to delete a picture file and I get that error message.  I know that no other program or person is using that file but I still get the error message.  I reboot the pc and try to delete that file but still get thet error message.  This problem doesn't happen all the time but enough times to be a problem.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Thanx

Raptor

Re: Deleting or moving files, ERROR msg
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 09:32:29 AM »
Scan for Trojan Horses, Spyware and Viruses.

ken

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 09:44:50 AM »
I did, used, Norton antivirus, avg scanner, adaware, bazooka sypware scanner and a whole bunch other stuff.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 10:05:01 AM »
Attempt to remove the file from safe mode.

ken

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 08:23:29 AM »
I can delete them from safe mode but I would like to be able to delete them from regular mode.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 09:25:22 AM »
Some files can not be deleted in Windows because they are in use by another program.

ken

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 06:40:55 PM »
Yah, but files such as pictures, audio/video should be fine as long as they're not in use by another program.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 11:20:47 PM »
And you are certain they are not in use? Have you double checked to see if there are any programs installed that donot make use of these files?

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 09:23:46 AM »
    Press control alt delete and go on the aplications tab. This is a list of the programs you have running. Do you have anything open which could be causing it?

2k dummy

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 10:14:51 AM »
    Are you using any kind of audio/video/image cataloging program. If so, disable the program and try deleteing again.

ken

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 04:54:17 PM »
    Ok i'll give you an example.  I want to delete this picture file that i copied from a different folder to the desktop.  There are no open programs that are using that file.  I hit the delete key, try dragging it to recycle bin, try moving it to another folder and wont work.  I get that error message.  It's weird b/c it was working fine before I did a system restore.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 01:10:08 AM »
    Have you tried disabling system restore and then remove the file?

Far fetched, but it may work.

I suggest keeping system restore disabeled..

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 08:34:25 AM »
    Is the file in use by another program?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

2k dummy

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 11:13:48 AM »
    Was the containing folder created under a different user name and/or password? If so, you may not have read/write permissions to the folder. Try logging in as admin and set the user permissions or delete the file from the admin account. If you need frequent access to the folder, place it in the all users.

Joleen

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 11:26:27 AM »
    XP has an issue with .avi files (movies) where it will try to bring up a preview of information for you.  That can cause the cpu to max out and the file to be 'in use'.  There's a fix you can find on http://www.regedit.com but as with anything to do with the registry, know what you're doing and make backups.  The fix is super easy but it's also a very dangerous area to fool around in.