Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Safe mode boot.  (Read 2373 times)

Woodman

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Safe mode boot.
    « on: August 19, 2007, 08:20:20 PM »
    Win XP Home SP.2.

I want to set up an unattended boot into Safe Mode but have been unable to find instructions on how to automatically select the Administrator Account and respond Yes to the Safe Mode/System Restore options.

Any ideas please ???

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Safe mode boot.
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
    edit the boot.ini file and add /safeboot to the end of the first operating system line.

Woodman

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
      edit the boot.ini file and add /safeboot to the end of the first operating system line.

Yes thanks, all that is already understood but still requires the Admin account to be selected and Yes on the Safe Mode/Restore window as Safe Mode boots.

What I want to do is for those two to be automatically selected and the Safe Mode boot complete without user intervention.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »
      Not sure how that could be done easily. I guess you would have to know a bit about programming. You could probably write something with visual basic or c++ that the autoexec.bat file calls before it starts anything else up, which would somehow bypass, or tell windows to not load the login screen.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?

Woodman

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:43:35 PM »
        Hmmm!!  Autoexec.bat in NT ???

I can claim some proficiency in programming in C++, VB6 and even lowly Assembler but I don't have enough knowledge of the boot process to know what to attack.

To satisfy your curiosity.  I often have the need to swap in and out of Safe/Normal Modes using different options in both modes.   I have set this up using desktop icons which speeds the process (just one click, no Start>Turn off computer>Reboot press F8 etc) but get hung up on booting to Safe Mode because intervention is always required.  Hope this clarifies it a little for you.

Thanks for your interest.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:57:46 PM »
        I don't really know a whole lot about the boot process either, I was just speaking theoretically, I guess.
        Perhaps a good place to ask these questions would be the MSDN Forums.
        What version of windows are you using? What kind of app are you developing?