Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computers can't all see each other  (Read 3937 times)

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

computers can't all see each other
    « on: August 21, 2007, 07:08:31 AM »
    I have a home network all connected to a Belkin wireless router/modem.  Desk top runs XP Pro and is ethernet cable-connected to the router, Sony Vaio laptop running XP Pro is wirelessly connected to the router, MacBook running OS-X is also wirelessly connected to the router.  Router is MAC address filtered and running WAP-PSK encryption.  All computers have perfect connections, excellent internet response.  All computers allow file and printer sharing.

The desktop can see both laptops in "My network places" and passes data to and from them.  The Sony Vaio can see the MacBook in "My network places" and the MacBook can see the Sony Vaio and data can pass between them.  But neither laptop can see the desktop and thus can't initiate data transfers to the desktop.

It's not really critical as I tend to use the desktop as the "master" and pass data out to the other two as needed, I would just like to get it all working properly so that I can access any of the data from any computer.  I would also like to use "Remote Desktop" but can't at the moment.   I've been round the network configuration so many times that I wonder if I might have missed something somewhere.  I even think I would welcome a way to cancel out all the network, wipe the networking slate clean as it were and start over again.

Any ideas anyone ?
    a

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
      Re: computers can't all see each other
      « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 03:29:50 PM »
      Wow?!
      Sharing files with a Apple and a Windows????
      Man I didn't think that was possible.
      How did you do that??

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 03:54:41 PM »
        One word...
        Samba
        ;)
        It comes standard on Mac OS X (I think) and many Linux distros.
        Of course the Macbook could also be running XP .

ringbinder have you checked if a firewall on one of the computers are blocking file sharing?
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:56:14 AM »
          Jonas, I didn't do anything except add each machine as a "Network Place" and the Mac can see the whole directory structure and content of the Win machines (at least, only the Sony at the moment although it used to see the desktop as well, hence the current problem).  And the Win machines can also see the directory structure and contents of the Mac. 
          Deerpark, I didn't use Samba and the MacBook is not running XP, just plain OS-X. 

Further on my problem though, all firewalls are set to allow file and printer sharing.  In fact I was using PC Tools Firewall Plus on the desktop but I've just disabled it and gone back to the Win Firewall just to make sure that wasn't screwing things up.  No change.
          From the desktop, when I "View Workgroup Computers", it lists only the Sony Vaio, not the Mac and not itself, even though in "My Network Places" I can see both Sony and Mac and can access all their files and synchronise whatever data I want.
          From the Sony, when I "View Workgroup Computers", it lists only itself and in "My Network Places" it lists only its own shares (this is not quite what I reported the other day).
          On the MacBook, in the Network, it lists the workgroup and the Sony Vaio in that workgroup and I can open the Sony as a server and access all its files.  The Desktop is not listed.
          It seems so confusing that I'm wondering now if I can scrap all the network and workgroups and start again with a clean slate.  Is there a way to do that ?
          Thanks for listening to all this.
          JR
          a

rasilun

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 07:19:58 PM »
            First off, do all of your computers inside the network have internal static IP's?

I had this same issue (fairly similar that is) with my laptop when I first got it. I believe it has a lot to do with the wireless connections. Go around and assign static IP's to everything. Then, maybe set up your router to speak directly to the IP's (can't remember what this process is called and to lazy to look). I remember after doing most of that it solved my problems. If I think of anything else I did, I'll let you know.

viking

Adviser
            • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
              « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 09:17:35 AM »
              One of those computers becomes the "network master browser" (this happens in every "windows" network). It could take up to 40 minutes to initialize right the network "database". Also, it should run just fine, but it seems it does not.
              If you disable the firewalls, are you able to see all computers? Disable firewalls just for testing.

For remote desktop problem I recommend you RealVNC.

The static IPs don't have anything to do with the problem. It does not matter if there are static or dynamic IPs.

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 11:14:31 PM »
                Thanks for all the useful tips.  I think it is solved now.  I was running PCTools Firewall Plus on the desktop machine (a recommendation I had from this forum some time ago) even though I had it set to allow file and printer sharing and I was pretty sure it wasn't impeding the network.  At your suggestion Viking, I disabled it and Voila! the desktop appeared in the "workgroup computers" list and all the network was working fine. 
                That was last night.  This morning, same problem, even though I had deleted the Start-Up entry for PCTools Firewall Plus and Firewall Plus had not started.
                So now I've completely uninstalled Firewall Plus, never to be used again, and reverted to the simple Windows Firewall and the network is working properly again (even the PC/Mac connection Jonas).   I've re-booted and all seems well, let's hope that is the end of it.
                Many thanks for all who offered help and advice.
                J
                a