Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: An update on my computer status...  (Read 3278 times)

darren_33

An update on my computer status...
« on: November 21, 2004, 09:15:03 PM »
Alright my friend has a Dell and Im sorry but Im not a Dell guy.  Anyways he had a disc called Operating System: Reninstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.  Alright I installed it and it worked fine and now I have Windows Home edition on my computer but its a Dell now.  Ok now I want to get it back to a Sony because there are features that my Sony came with taht I want back on my computer.  So how do I go about doing this?  I also put in my Startup Recovery Disc and it said restart your computer and this disc will start automatically so I did and it did start automatically and it said chose your os and then it said for more options press F8 and theres options like Safe Mode, ect.  I also tried to uninstall this os that I installed but it says I have to register first.  Is there Any way of getting around this?  I dont really want to register befcause I dont want to cause any problems.  I also didnt have to enter a cd key when I installed this disc.  Any suggestions on getting my computer back to a Sony Vaio would be helpful.  Thanks.

merlin_2

Re: An update on my computer status...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 02:22:20 AM »
load the sony disks......is should reformat the drive..

darren_33

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 05:36:09 PM »
I tried and they dont start.  I can look through them but they wont start.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 05:41:20 PM »
if you can look thought them you should see an icon called setup click that..

darren_33

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 05:55:02 PM »
I tried that and it just sits and does nothing... Also  any way of getting around having to register and just taking xp off?

MalikTous

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 10:28:10 AM »
Copy the c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl file to a CDRW or floppy. Then put the Sony OS CD in the CD drive, reboot and get into BIOS settings, and make sure your CD drive is set ahead of the hard drive as a boot device. Save the settings and restart. The system should boot to the CD and let you restore the Sony-branded OS to it. Put your CD Key from the sticker on the machine or CD box in if needed.

When you finish re-installing the OS, copy the WPA.DBL file from the floppy back to c:\windows\system32, and you should avoid having to mess with activation.