Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Windows vista/wanting to remove old recovery partition  (Read 4868 times)

iamasupermidget

I just installed Windows Vista on my HP computer.  This particular computer came with a partitioned D drive on top of the C drive, which contained essentially everything needed to re-format.

The problem is, I reformated with Vista to get rid of all the junk that came with my computer rather than just updating with it.  And last time I recovered using the partiction, it did in fact put the same junk on it that came with it.

I originally wanted to install vista on to the D drive, but it wouldn't let me.

I want to get rid of the partitioned drive and all the remenants of the old OS it was running on. 

Is this safe, and if so, how can I do it?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 02:44:53 PM by iamasupermidget »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Installing Windows vista/wanting to remove old recovery partition
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:27:43 PM »
If you reformatted properly all the old junk would be gone no matter if there is a recovery partition or not. On most machines the OS never sees this partition anyways...
There's nothing wrong with formatting the recovery partition but you may want to be certain you have a Vista CD in case anything gets wonked down the road
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 09:02:19 PM »
If you reformatted properly all the old junk would be gone no matter if there is a recovery partition or not. On most machines the OS never sees this partition anyways...
patio, I believe he's means using the Recovery partition for format and reinstall all the original software.  That's how it would work, right?  So, indeed, if the computer came with Norton Internet Security Suite, HP Games, Vongo, RealPlayer, etc., etc., all that would get reinstalled by using the Recovery partition, unless it's gives him the option to only install Windows, and apparently he did not see such an option when he previously used the procedure.

iamasupermidget, doesn't the computer have an item on the Programs menu called Recovery Manager or something similar?  I bought a Compaq Notebook PC about a month ago and it has that, and the purpose of it is to initiate the recovery/restore procedure. 

You do want the ability to format and reinstall your OS if necessary, right?  So, you either need to keep that Recovery partition as it is, or create, i.e. burn, recovery disks from it, or call HP and request they send a disk.  I believe a small fee is normally required for this.

If you create recovery disks or get them from HP, then you can safely format D and use it for other purposes.

With my Compaq Notebook, Recovery Manager has an option to remove the Recovery partition.  It's under Advanced options of the Recovery Manager.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 03:41:56 PM »
Well i'm still confused because he stated the following:
I just installed Vista...
I re-formatted with Vista...
And in the 2nd last sentence he mentions an old OS...
That's what i was going on but until he clears things up we may never know.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "