Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Detect Audio Devices  (Read 2902 times)

dieorcry

Can't Detect Audio Devices
« on: August 26, 2007, 06:10:50 PM »
I recently moved my PC.  I packed it up and set it up again, and connected all my peripherals.  Everything works fine except my sound card.  Its a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Gamer edition card I bought in 2003.  It has never given me any problems.  When I booted up after I set up my computer it worked for like 2 minutes then all of a sudden stopped.  I reinstalled all the applications and drivers found on Creative's CDs that came with my sound card.  I even updated the drivers.  The thing is that I dont think it is the card.  I can play the sample DVD Audio file that comes up on the splash screen when my PC boots up.  When I run dxdiag I can play sound when I hit the "Test Direct Music Option."  However, I can't play any direct sounds including cd playback, audio playback, or midi playback.....in short I have no sound at all, not even the system sounds.  I tried installing my motherboard sound drivers...did not fix the problem.  I THINK IT'S A WINDOWS PROBLEM.  When I run Control Panel and look at Sounds and Audio Devices everything is grayed out.  There are no playback devices listed as default.  My sound card is listed under audio devices in the device manager which means the drivers are installed.  I can't run Audio HQ.  The error message says that I'm missing some audio driver.  I can't run any of the SoundBlaster software.  When I try to run THX console it says that I have an incompatible sound driver.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THE IN-BOX AUDIO DRIVERS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO COME WITH WINDOWS?  I think mine got corrupted or overwritten somehow.  I tried searching microsoft's sites but I have no clue where they are.  The only thing I can think of now is upgrading from Home to Professional edition to get the new drivers.  HELP ANYONE?