Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help setting up router.  (Read 3458 times)

Saskio

Need help setting up router.
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:01:56 AM »
First i'll explain the situation. My parents recently purchased a surround sound system that works wirelessly. My router is also in this room and whenever the surround sound goes on it just mucks up my wireless connection to the router and I get a unexpected disconnection. I'm a big online gamer and its very importaint i have a stable connection so i can perform online. I've asked my parents if i can move the router upstairs and connect it via a ethernet cable but they refuse to let me do so.

So I decided to purchase a new router and hopefully by connectiing it into my phone socket I could obtain the internet connection independantly without the use of the other router. The router connected up fine but sadly it could not pick up the internet. I dont really understand the problem, my household is subscribed to BT broadband, I connect my ADSL router into a phone socket, it detects that it is on a phone line but cant find any internet. I have moved my existing router in the past into different phone sockets and it has worked fine.

So to summerise my current set up is: A BT-Broadband HomeHub router that is downstairs in my house. I am connected to it wirelessly, and I keep on getting a rubbish connection due to interferance and my parents refuse to let me move the router into my room.

I want: To have my own router in my room (i have a phoneline/power ect.) and connect my computer to it via a ethernet cable. So essentially our house would have 2 running routers both providing the BT broadband service. Currently I have set up the router and followed the instructions and the ADSL router says its connected, but is unable to connect to the internet. Whenever i put both routers on the BT broadband router messes up and nobody gets internet.

So I would like to know how to set up 2 routers in my house and share the BT-Broadband connection. I'm thinking i have everything set up, just need to configure some settings so the second router can pick up the internet - Thx.

Saskio

Re: Need help setting up router.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:04:18 AM »
The second router was called : Belkin ADSL Router with wireless G.
The first router is just called BT Homehub

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 10:17:19 AM »
    The problem might be might be that you've only been assigned one IP by your internet service provider. Then only one router can get connected to the internet. Maybe you should give your ISP a call and check if this is the case.
    Also, some ISPs only allow their own equipment to get internet access.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Saskio

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:10:02 PM »
    In that case I'd like to ask if anyone is using BT Broadband without the home hub.

Ri

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »
    This is pretty much my problem, but I didn't see it when I searched. I was told they needed to be bridged. Belkin said call Rogers, Rogers said call Belkin.