Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop not connecting to router but wireless and other wired working fine  (Read 4528 times)

jimb20

i got a laptop from a friend and cant get it to connect to the router(its wired) i tried to ping the address 192.168.1.1 (linksys router) and showed that the connection was not there.  i did the same on my other laptop and worked perfectly fine and the internet on my desktop is fine

the non connecting laptop is running winxp pro and so is the desktop

is there any place to check where the problem could be?

thanks for any help i can get :)

rasilun

Beginner

You title says "laptop not connecting to router but wireless and other wired working fine". The laptop with the problem, are you trying wireless or LAN? Have you tried both? Is it saying "Limited or not connectivity"?

jimb20

the laptop i am asking about is only wired i have two other computers one is another laptop that is wireless and the other is a desktop that is wired and they get internet just fine

rasilun

Beginner

If you go to "control panel/network and internet connections/network connections" you see "local area connection". Does it say connected under it? Right click that icon and then click on "repair".

If that doesn't work. Right click on the same icon and go to properties. Under the "general tab" scroll down till you see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and highlight that. Then, click on the "properties" button. Make sure you are set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically".

You may also want to double check you Ethernet connections and verify everything is hooked up correctly or that you don't have a busted cable.

It could also be that you don't have any drivers loaded for that network card.