Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Won't go to Standby  (Read 1905 times)

Doomsayer

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Computer Won't go to Standby
    « on: August 27, 2007, 09:24:15 AM »
    I had no idea where to put this, so sorry if it's in a bad category.   But bassically,  I used to put my computer on standby every night because it's pretty loud (cheap fans), and suddenly I go to the "turn off computer" menu where you have choices to Standby, Restart, or Shutdown,  and hit standby like I always have,  and This time I get the whole windows preparing to standby thing, but When it would normally go dark,  it just all comes back and it's like I never hit anything. 

Windows XP SP 2

I haven't made any changes to hardware,  and Have run Virus scans in this order
    - Ccleaner
    - Ad-Aware
    - Spybot S&D
    - AVG free
    all are updated.

thanks for the help guys

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer Won't go to Standby
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 01:13:36 PM »
    So, it seems like something is waking it up as soon as it goes into Standby, right?  And, that's probably what is happening.  The key is to figure what's waking it up. 

I suggest opening Task Manager and take a close look at what's running.  Try killing some processes before going into Standby and see whether you can find what's causing it.

I think you could possible have some malware that's not detected by any of the maintenance tools you listed.  You may need to post a HijackThis log if you can't identify the culprit by using Task Manager.