Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question on reinstalling system  (Read 3792 times)

etch53

Question on reinstalling system
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:50:20 AM »
Is it possible to use format disk to wipe out everything on the harddrive and then reinstall the originall operating disk to the system? My registry is corrupted and the security hive file won't allow me to reinstall the system, it just locks up the computer.  What I would like to know is will the disk boot after format, or will my corrupted registry still be there.
thanks

contrex

Re: Question on reinstalling system
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:10:04 AM »
If the disk is formatted, all data previously on the disk is abolished. No registry, no files, no nothing. Sometimes it may be possible to recover some data from a formatted disk, but it is not easy. The answer to your question is "No, your corrupted registry will be gone forever".

etch53

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 11:17:39 AM »
ok I understand that everything will be lost. My question now is can I use my factory install disk I got with the computer to reinstall the system after I format the harddrive? thanks for your help

contrex

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:19:09 AM »
ok I understand that everything will be lost. My question now is can I use my factory install disk I got with the computer to reinstall the system after I format the harddrive? thanks for your help

I would guess so. Is the disk a full install disk?

etch53

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 11:25:34 AM »
Its the one you get with the new computer. OPERATING SYSTEM DISK, It is a operating recovery disk.

contrex

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:05:26 PM »
What brand and model computer is it?

etch53

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 12:16:29 PM »
e-machines T6532

contrex

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 12:37:10 PM »
eMachines computers are usually supplied with one or more hard drive data recovery CDs (also known as eMachines Windows recovery CDs, eMachines hard drive restore CDs or hard drive data restore CDs). The eMachines hard drive data recovery CDs are specifically designed for your eMachines computer, usually contain an image of what was on the computers hard drive when it was first bought, & they allow you to return the machine to its original state (as new). This is particularly useful if the machine has been attacked by a virus, if the original hard drive has developed a fault, or if you simply wish to replace or upgrade the hard drive, & need to re-install your original software.

The eMachines Windows recovery CDs are also sometimes referred to as eMachines Windows installation CDs because they completely erase the contents of your hard drive & then re-install your operating system (Windows ME or Windows XP). However, they differ from normal Windows installation disks in that they usually restore all programs which were originally installed on the hard drive when the computer was first purchased (any additional programs or files which were not originally installed will be overwritten).

etch53

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
Super, the problem is that I can't get the disk to load because my registry hives are corrupted. Can I perform a format on the hard drive and then use my disk to reinstall my system? Do you know the proper procedure to do this if it is possible? I really need the help. Thanks

contrex

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »
I thought the recovery disk was meant for when the operating system is hosed, or the hard drive needed replacing. The idea is that you don't need to use anything in the soon-to-be removed old Windows installation. Including the registry.

I think you are meant to insert the CD in the CD/DVD drive, then go in the BIOS and set the machine to boot off the CD drive, aren't you? So that when you save the settings and exit the BIOS setup, the computer starts from the CD. The hard disk gets formatted automatically.

You have nothing to lose by trying this.

etch53

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 01:01:37 PM »
thanks will try and get back to you

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »
... insert the CD in the CD/DVD drive, then go in the BIOS and set the machine to boot off the CD drive  ..., the computer starts from the CD. The hard disk gets formatted automatically.
I did this not long ago on an eMachine 466id and reinstalled Win 98SE.  The procedure was exactly as you stated.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:15:41 PM by soybean »

dharam

my pc displays verifying DMI Pool Data
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 01:20:36 PM »
... insert the CD in the CD/DVD drive, then go in the BIOS and set the machine to boot off the CD drive  ..., the computer starts from the CD. The hard disk gets formatted automatically.
I did this not long ago on an eMachine 466id and reinstalled Win 98SE.  The procedure was exactly as you stated.

contrex

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 01:23:40 PM »
dharam, please do not attach your question to an already existing topic. Start a new topic.

etch53

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 02:58:57 PM »
going through the boot process isn't working, looks like i need to format drive first. does anyone have any suggestions on how this is to be done? will it work with this install disk? this is a recovery disk by the way, used with the recovery part of windows. thanks