Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Would you.....  (Read 6336 times)

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
    Re: Would you.....
    « Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »
    How can I find the board specs (for when the computer arrives).
    But the person on ebay said "Intel 965 and 975X socket 775 Motherboards" only. Mines an alienware PCI Express Motherboard with Intel 925XE Chipset
    And what makes a processor good. GHz, Cache or somthing else.
    Computer Specs
    Motherboard - Nforce 780i xfx CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600  Hard drive - 120GB RAM - Geil DDR2 2GBx2 BLACK DRAGON Graphics Card - XFX 8800GTX PSU - Gigabyte 800w GT

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
      « Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 02:53:01 AM »
      I emailed a computer friend of mine and he said, that I wont need to upgrade my processor because it will play most games/ programmes, how it is.
      Is this right.
      Cause, I don't want 3ds max 6 or half life 2 being slow, when I'm using them.
      And what's good in a processor, cause everyone seems to go of topic when I ask
      Thanks
      « Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 05:07:40 AM by saint_hades »
      Computer Specs
      Motherboard - Nforce 780i xfx CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600  Hard drive - 120GB RAM - Geil DDR2 2GBx2 BLACK DRAGON Graphics Card - XFX 8800GTX PSU - Gigabyte 800w GT

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 03:03:13 AM »
      Get a dual core, the Pentium 4 is still fine but a dual core will make a massive difference.
      What's good in a CPU: more cache helps, more GHz or clock speed helps, a higher FSB helps if you have the motherboard to back it up, and dual or quadcore is also good.
      Basically, if you're buying a new processor now, look for Intel Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad, or the Pentium Dual Core series.

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
        « Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 03:18:30 AM »
        How can I find the board specs (for when the computer arrives).
        But the person on ebay said "Intel 965 and 975X socket 775 Motherboards" only. Mines an alienware PCI Express Motherboard with Intel 925XE Chipset

Thanks Calum, so if more GHz helps, than doesn't that make mine a, better processor, than the E6600, or do you need good everything else, cause the E6600, beats me on cache and I think everything else.

O' (reason I put the quote in), will the Intel core 2 duo E6600, work in my computer, or will I have to wait till the computer comes before I can know
        Computer Specs

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 03:23:15 AM »
        A faster clock speed is only an issue if the processors are from the same series.
        So a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 is faster than a 3GHz from the same line.
        However, a Core 2 Duo E6300, for example, at 1.86GHz is much faster than either of the example Pentium 4s.
        You will need a different motherboard - you have an older chipset so the Core 2 Duo will not work in it.

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
          « Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 03:34:17 AM »
          Would this do, for a new motherboard and processor
          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUN-INTEL-6-0Ghz-Pentium-Dual-Core-16XPCI-E-Mobo_W0QQitemZ120154704393QQihZ002QQcategoryZ131530QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And do you think I should get a new graphics card or, a new processor/ motherboard
          Computer Specs

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
            « Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 05:06:41 AM »
            And are motherboards and processors easy to install and fit.
            Or do you think I should just the a computer person to do it.
            Computer Specs

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 05:28:46 AM »
            That processor isn't good, it's Pentium D and is wrongly advertised as Pentium Dual Core.
            They are fairly easy to fit, but if in doubt get an expert to do it. 
            You don't want to get it wrong and destroy them, they're pretty expensive parts.