Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Harddrive Probs  (Read 2102 times)

jimsters316

External Harddrive Probs
« on: September 04, 2007, 04:31:43 PM »
Hi all,

bit a newbie with things like this so any help would be very much appreciated.. on to my prob. About a year ago got an external harddrive to save my videos, music, pics, generally stuff really but i went to turn it on the other day and no power going into it. I had my mate check the power supply and power going through the power cable but no power going into the device. is it possible to connect the actual harddrive to my pc to transfer the files to either my pc or a new external harddrive that i have bought. I am running xp home edition on my desktop and vista on my latop. do you have any other suggestions as to what i could to move the files from one to another?? could i possibly just switch around the old and new harddrive even though they are different brands, would the connections be different?

apologises for all the questions

many thanks in advance

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: External Harddrive Probs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 05:37:12 PM »
The external HDD can indeed be hooked up internally.
Carefully remove it from the external case.
On the rear of the drive next to the power connector and IDE connector there will be a set of 10 or 12 pins.
Check the drive manuf. site to see how to jumper it as a slave drive.
Put the jumper in place and hook it up to a middle connector on the IDE ribbon cable.
Then hook up the Molex power plug and re-boot.
You should now be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer and copy/move files from it...

As always when working inside the case make sure all power sources are removed and take neccessary anti-static precautions...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "