Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: start up problems and I have a screen shot.  (Read 2442 times)

geekwantabe

start up problems and I have a screen shot.
« on: September 01, 2007, 09:22:34 AM »
I have windows xp and while playing SWG last night things started to lag so I went to reboot the puter. But when it started to reload this is all I get...

I have tried to get to safe mode I cant get anywhere F8 dont work, Delete key dont work, I even put my windows xp disc in to try and reformat and nothing. That screen is all I get.

Thank you in advance for any help.

contrex

Re: start up problems and I have a screen shot.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:06:46 AM »
I think maybe something on your motherboard has died.

geekwantabe

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 10:59:49 AM »
i was guessing this is what I was gonna hear.  :'(

contrex

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 11:20:52 AM »
Just guessing, but it sounds like maybe -- just maybe -- something overheated?

ViciouZ

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 11:45:45 AM »
When this happens to me, I open the case, clean all the dust out, make sure nothing is touching the motherboard and it works again. Failing that, you're probably screwed.

contrex

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 12:13:54 PM »
BIOS date Jan 2003... elderly hardware... RIP?

geekwantabe

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 12:22:09 PM »
Just guessing, but it sounds like maybe -- just maybe -- something overheated?

I figured it might of been overheat too. So I did a clean job and left the side panel off after everything was cool I rebooted. Even after that screen came up I left it there to see if anything would heat up. Nothing did. Both fans inside are working fine too.

contrex

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 12:27:51 PM »
We are used to thinking that everything has a fix, and we only have to tweak some settings or download a file, but, sadly, hardware does fail, sometimes permanently.

If you have multiple RAM sticks, you could try with just one at a time, and you could remove some of those 4 drives which are hung off the motherboard at the moment. This might show up a weak power supply.

If you still had no luck, maybe something on the motherboard is kaput.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 12:50:09 PM »
I agree with contrex...
A few other things you can try:

Replace the CMOS battery...bout the size of a dime on the MBoard Part# CR2032...available at any computer store.
DLoad and run MemTest...windows doesn't need to be running for this so even if it won't boot to Windows you can still run the tests. Let it run for a few hours. Any errors mean the RAM needs replaced.
DLoad and run the diagnostics from the HDD manuf. site...ditto the above comments.

If still no joy borrow a known good PSU and swap it in there to see if this makes a difference. If it boots you need a new PSU.

p.s. All these tests are eliminating other possible faults and will narrow down to whether it is the MBoard or not.
Let us know...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

geekwantabe

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »
OK,

I replaced ram with good ram from my sons computer. No go

I put a new PSU in which I actually just bought for my younger sons computer. No go.

I unplugged all the extra drives besides 1 and yep you guessed it No Go.

I'm thinking this is a motherboard. We have had some bad storms a few weeks ago and power has flashed on and off a few times while on line. Maybe it weakend something and it just finally went kaput.

Well since I have some great help here I found a thread earlier to help me reformat my sons HD, but cant find it now.

He has XP on his computer and I just want to reformat it and start fresh. What do I have to do? I have the disc and when I run it it wont let me delete the partition so I can reload all new. Thanks again for the help. I guess those web design classes and Photoshop classes I should of also taken some for the upkeep on puters.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 01:40:42 PM »
First you need to determine if the RAM you put in is supported by that MBoard...travel to crucial.com and enter the system specs to determine this...
2nd even though the PSU you bought from your Son is new to you it doesn't mean it works properly...try borrowing a known working one of the same wattage or greater.
When trying to troubleshoot a machine with problems it's best to reduce as many variables as you can. Choose which HDD you want to use as the primary drive and remove all the others.
Your XP CD should be able to boot the machine and partition/format that drive with no problem...if it isn't doing so post back for more suggestions but do the above first...

contrex

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »
patio, I really think he has hardware failure.

ronald_peterson

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 02:05:16 PM »
    recently one of my motherboards and processor went bust wen i tried to make a program work which needs higher configuration than wat i had.

its imp i guess to make sure abt that. my screen looked exacly like this and then it stopped working.

Finaly a enginner came and told me its gone.  :(

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 08:40:06 PM »
    patio, I really think he has hardware failure.

I tend to agree with you but none of my suggestions would hurt ... just eliminate some probabilities.