Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive lost most of it's space  (Read 3867 times)

woodsy444

hard drive lost most of it's space
« on: September 01, 2007, 02:35:04 PM »
after trying to install sam linux 2007,when i run windows it say's i only have 503mb of hard drive space,when i know it's a 10gb drive.yet when i run sam 2007 live cd it detects 10 gb and six partitions.windows doe's not see any.anyone know whats gone wrong or how to correct it.

GX1_Man

Re: hard drive lost most of it's space
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 03:10:27 PM »
What version of Windows, what model of hard drive, and how many partitions are really there? Did you use some sort of drive overlay software? Any kind of compression being used?

Details are helpful, including what is SAM Linux?

woodsy444

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 03:22:30 PM »
What version of Windows, what model of hard drive, and how many partitions are really there? Did you use some sort of drive overlay software? Any kind of compression being used?

Details are helpful, including what is SAM Linux?

windows 98se, maxtor 10gb ide and linux say's 6 partitions. sam linux 2007 is a new and finalised version of alternative operating system to windows.as for compression,i'm not that up on this to answer question.i the linux system configured drive but did not fully install itself.

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 03:29:50 PM »
    Where exactly is Windows reporting 503mb drive space? Are you sure it isn't just the size of the Windows partition?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

woodsy444

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 04:30:26 PM »
    Where exactly is Windows reporting 503mb drive space? Are you sure it isn't just the size of the Windows partition?

in my computer one click on c gives the cake slice view.of 503mb it's say's disc space remaining 48.1mb.....i think i might have got things badly wrong somewhere unless my hard disc is stuffed.it's on a p2 450mhz machine running 196mb sdram made in 1998 and manufactured by...wait for it....time computers.but it's been fine until this failed sam install.doe's this give any clues.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 04:50:13 PM »
      That sounds about right actually. Your C drive is just one partition and you yourself said you got 6 partitions in total. Each is taking up a part of that total 10 GB of hdd space. Windows just doesn't show the the other partitions if they have been formated with the ext2/ext3 file system, which they most likely have been if they were created by Linux.
      I can't remember how much hdd space win 98 requires but 500 mb probably isn't enough. I would like to give you some suggestions on how to fix this but I just can't remember enough about win 98 to give any good advices.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 05:49:21 PM »
      Was Windows installed first? It should have been as a primary partion of whatever size you need. 2 gig would be the minimum I would use. With the remainder of the drive as free space, Linux installs will set up swap file, etc. as needed. If you used QParted or some other means of resizing partitions you would need to let us know.

I hope you had everything backed up first.  ;)

Yes, I do speak linux.  ;)

I googled and did find references for SAM linux.

http://www.sam-linux.org/

They have a disclaimer in bold that says:

As usual: THIS IS A TEST RELEASE, DONT USE IT FOR SERIOUS WORK!

You may want to look at Vector Linux, or SLAX, if you want something a little more mainstream.

woodsy444

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 04:21:24 AM »
      Was Windows installed first? It should have been as a primary partion of whatever size you need. 2 gig would be the minimum I would use. With the remainder of the drive as free space, Linux installs will set up swap file, etc. as needed. If you used QParted or some other means of resizing partitions you would need to let us know.

I hope you had everything backed up first.  ;)

Yes, I do speak linux.  ;)

I googled and did find references for SAM linux.

http://www.sam-linux.org/

They have a disclaimer in bold that says:

As usual: THIS IS A TEST RELEASE, DONT USE IT FOR SERIOUS WORK!

You may want to look at Vector Linux, or SLAX, if you want something a little more mainstream.

yes,windows was intalled first.it's still there but doe's not have enough free space to do any serious work or surfing.no partition software was used as sam seemed to do it for you.this also is supposed to be the final release after the first two test versions.it would be nice just to get my disc space back and continue with windows.maybe too late for that.just to add to it,my backup disc is blank and cannot find any reference in windows to locate anything to restore it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 07:14:19 AM »
      Sounds like a backup, FDisk and Format is in your immediate future...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 07:21:18 AM »
      Delete programs that are unneccesary and back up the data only.   A good format and reinstall after that will fix everything. Keep in mind that you may need to delete the linux partitions with the linux CD if your startup disk does not do it.

woodsy444

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 03:46:28 PM »
      Delete programs that are unneccesary and back up the data only.   A good format and reinstall after that will fix everything. Keep in mind that you may need to delete the linux partitions with the linux CD if your startup disk does not do it.

thanks guys,i'll let you know if it's ok by the weekend.(next chance i'll have).