Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: erasing my hd with winxp  (Read 2953 times)

Some random guy

erasing my hd with winxp
« on: November 25, 2004, 03:44:17 PM »
ive erased a hard drive before but it was on win95,
right now im trying to erase one on a computer with windows xp, how do i go about this? i have all the disks i need to reinstall it.

John Chain

Re: erasing my hd with winxp
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 04:18:55 PM »
First of all, the reinstall disk will automatically erase everything on it, it gives you the warning "All data will be lost." Don't waste time trying to delete everything. Or you can dowload yourself a copy of Munga Bunga's "Hard Drive Killer Pro," It claims o erase the whole hard drive (except for running processes) in under 5 seconds. But be careful, because in his personal notes he said something about corrupting all HD's and and only being able to use a lo less than which he started....Oops!

Some random guy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 04:24:36 PM »
im looking now but i dont see any options about erasing my hd

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 04:40:47 PM »
    Some random guy.......Do you have an authentic Win XP disk or do you have those hokey restore disk or disks.

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

some random guy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 06:14:40 PM »
    its the  purple (ish) disk that came with my computer along with the green booklet, the disc says operation system cd, reinstillation cd

R0c4

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 11:24:36 PM »
    Use can use NTFS to erase your drive.

First change BIOS setup so that one of the boots is your cd drive if it's not already doing so.

Have your Window XP cd in your cd drive on start/boot.

Go into Windows XP installation.  It will then list your partition(s) of your hard drive.

Delete the partition with Windows XP. (The instruction for creating/deleting/resizing partition should be listed on the screen)  It will then prompt you are you sure, go ahead if you're sure of it.  Once done, you can exit setup, or install the version of XP that's currently in your cd drive onto the empty space.

Hope this helps.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 11:25:58 PM »
    whats the make of this pc..

Mac

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 01:35:33 AM »
    ive erased a hard drive before but it was on win95,
    right now im trying to erase one on a computer with windows xp, how do i go about this? i have all the disks i need to reinstall it.

Try booting directly to your CD rather than running it from within Windows.

You may need to alter the BIOS boot sequence to do this.

Do you have the handbook that came with the computer? It should all be in there.

If you can borrow an XP CD you can use that to partition and foprmat your machine then use your installation CDs to install to the new C: drive.

If you need more on partitioning and formatting it helps to know the size of the drive you are using.

Note on drive size:

10·0Gb = 10,000,000,000,Bytes (÷ 1024) = 9765625,Kb (÷ 1024) = 9536,74,Mb (÷ 1024) = 9,313,Gb

XP works much better when formatted directly to NTFS. The XP CD will allow you to delete partitions, make new ones and format to NTFS. You just need to interrrupt the installation process when using the XP CD and change over to using your own installation CDs.

As soon as you have installed your OEM programming (it is preferable to just install XP and install other programs at a later time, if this option is available to you) you should add SP2 from the Free Microsoft SP2 CD.