Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: There has to be a better way!  (Read 2281 times)

eleever

There has to be a better way!
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »
I will try to explain my problem without being too drawn out. I work for a company that pulls credit reports and is required to document and scan each one. The way that we are doing this now is soooooooo ridiculous. People are emailing these to me, I print them out, they are scanned, and then they are shredded. This is wasting so much time and paper. There must be a way to get them from my email or file on my computer into Docstar to be stored. Please help!

contrex

Re: There has to be a better way!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 11:02:28 AM »
Has your company asked you to investigate a way of cutting out the scanning, or is this your idea? I ask because there may be good reasons for the scanning, legal and security ones I mean.

I work for a government agency where we scan every incoming document, and, sure, we could have a lot of them in the form of email attachments, but the IT dept doesn't like the insecurity of that, and we have to scan all the incoming faxes, letters and legal certificates and stuff anyway, and it proves legally that a paper copy actually existed and was witnessed by more than one person. It creates an audit trail. We don't shred our paper copies, we keep them for six weeks and then they go to a file repository.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 12:51:10 PM by contrex »

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 12:41:41 PM »
    Yes there are better ways and easier ways.  However, it all depends on your company's policies.  I would check with them before going any further with something like this.

contrex

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 12:55:07 PM »
    It's quite hard to undetectably alter a scanned TIF image file, but it is trivially easy to alter an email message.