Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please answer as if you're dealing with a 2 year old.  (Read 2814 times)

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Please answer as if you're dealing with a 2 year old.
    « on: September 06, 2007, 03:30:28 PM »
    Had a computer with Win 98 on E drive.  Got a newer computer with Win 2000 already installed on C drive.  Son took old C drive out & installed in newer computer for additional storage & space.  Now I have files for both 98 and 2000.  I can't believe that this is a good thing & my computer, I don't think, believes it either.  Is it safe to do a search for Win 98 files & delete them all?  I'm a senior citizen and not particularly techno savvy, so please keep your answers simple.  Please?  Thanks.
    People may forget what you say; people may forget what you do, but people will never forget how you made them feel!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Please answer as if you're dealing with a 2 year old.
      « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »
      If you are booting into Windows 2000 (original drive) then it is safe to reformat (wipe out) all the windows 98 files as you don't need them.  If you don't remove them then the addition of the windows 98 drive was a waste of time.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:02:42 PM »
      I'd have to admit that a 2 year old that can swap HDD's around and successfully install an OS is pretty impressive...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 01:07:04 PM »
        OOOOh, but it wasn't I who was messing with the HDs!  It was my son, remember? 

I'm assuming (we all know what that does), that none of the other programs that I have on my computer need Windows 98 to run effectively?  I'm thinking of going to my recycle bin as we speak & taking all the 98's off.  I got them as far as the recycle bin a couple of weeks ago, but then, was too intimidated to go any further!  But that's a good point:  if my entire "e" drive is being used by Win 98, why have it, huh?  Thanks so much.  You don't know how long I've looked for a site like this one!  One final comment/question:  How do I know for sure which hd the computer is booting from?  Again, I assume that it's the new "c" drive, but want to make absolutely sure. 

P.S.  Just went to do what I said, i.e., delete Win 98 files.  What is a CAB file?
        « Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 01:34:41 PM by khill75462 »
        People may forget what you say; people may forget what you do, but people will never forget how you made them feel!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 01:46:52 PM »
        To make sure of the C: drive remove the drive that has Win98 and re-boot a few times. Win2K should boot normally.
        Then simply re-connect the Win98 drive jumpered as slave and format it using Disk Management...this is providing you have backed up any data you need from there. You can now use it as extra storage.

A.cab file is a method Microsoft used to compress files that came with an installation CD...mostly for Win98 thru the WinME OS's....maybe longer.

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 03:20:47 PM »
          Patio!  You lost me with "simply....".  No idea what jumpered, formatting with disk management, etc. means.  Let's just suppose for a minute, ok?  I'll just assume (there's that word again), that the computer boots from Win 2000.  If I'm right in that assumption, THEN is it safe to delete all those Win 98 CAB, and others, files?  Just for argument's sake, what might possibly be on the deleted Win98  that I might need in order to use some of the same programs I'm currently using with it installed? That's a little convuluted, so hope you understand what I'm saying!  If you get tired of dealing with me, I'll certainly understand, but I do appreciate your input! 

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 03:37:51 PM »
          Wasn't my intention to confuse at all...
          If it currently boots properly to Win2K and all your programs operate OK then you can safely delete anything to do with Win98...you don't need it for anything.

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
            « Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 09:01:50 PM »
            Is windows booting or trying to boot windows 98 at all?

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 05:13:49 AM »
              Hi P-P!  In answer to that question, here's another one....how could I tell?  What do I look for?  Thanks.