Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot open "Notepad"  (Read 10154 times)

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Cannot open "Notepad"
    « on: September 05, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »
    I recently read about adding website names in the hosts file to prevent access on them on my home computer. I went to: start>my computer> local disk c:> Windows> system32> drivers> etc > hosts. A dialogue box asks which program I want to use to open the hosts file with. I chose Notepad (which I read somewhere was the correct program). I get an error essage which says: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Now since I have a stand-alone desktop computer, why would I not have permission to access my hosts file? I get the same error message when I just try to open Notepad from start>all programs>accessories>notepad. I have Windows XP Pro version 2002 with SP2, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1.99GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
      Re: Cannot open "Notepad"
      « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 10:59:51 PM »
      You are the admin, right? Then again, you shouldn't have to be an admin to access notepad. Maybe you should get a notepat replacement program.

Spero-T

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:15:23 AM »
      Make sure that the target is correct in the shortcut...right click >>
      properties >>target should be "%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe" or
      "C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe"without quotes

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 07:04:20 AM »
        The target is correct.  Can I just download another copy of Notepad and re-install it?  I also read somewhere that there is a program Notepad++.  Do you know about that?

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 09:29:45 AM »
          Go through your control panel and go to Windows Components section.  Has notepad been removed for some reason?  If it has just put it back on.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 10:57:39 AM »
            When I open my control panel there is no icon called Windows Components.  Could it be called something else? or be inside a different icon?

Deerpark

Egghead
              « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »
              Select Add or Remove Programs
              There you got Add/Remove Windows Components
              Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
              Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 11:38:41 AM »
                Yea sorry about that.  I should have been more clear.   :-\

Go into control panel, then into add/remove programs.  Then on the left hand side you will see a button for Add/Remove Windows Components.  It's in there that you want to make sure notepad is installed on your machine.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 01:58:29 PM »
                  Ok, so I don't see Notepad in the choices for add/remove Windows components. How do you add it - I don't see it as a choice to be clicked on? :-\

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                    « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 04:24:38 PM »
                    I don't think that you can remove notepad like that.

There are notepad replacement programs, such as notepad++, but they are not as simple as notepad. They are more for fancier webpage editing.

Fed

• Sage
                      • Experience: Experienced
                      « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 06:42:26 PM »
                      Is the notepad.exe file on your computer, it should be in the system32 directory.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 09:39:17 PM »
                        I downloaded another copy of Notepad onto my desktop.  I was able to look into my hosts file.  You have to make a copy of the hosts file  and add a .txt extension before you can look at it in Notepad.  Once you edit the text inside - if you do - remove the .txt extension.

Deerpark

Egghead
                          « Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 03:53:00 AM »
                          It shouldn't be necessary to add a file extension to open it. Just double click it and Windows should present you with a list of possible programs to open it with. If notepad isn't on the list just browse to notepad.exe.

But anyway good to hear you got it working.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 09:37:54 AM »
                            Yeah, I can get into my host file now, but if you read my first post, you'll see I initially tried to open it as you suggested, but I get an error message saying I don't have permission to access it.  I've since gone through different actions to try to fix it including:

Download notepad.exe
                            Delete all notepad.exe and copy the new one here: (Order is significant)

- %root%/WINDOWS/system32/dllcache (hidden folder)
                            - %root%/WINDOWS/system32
                            - %root%/WINDOWS

Which I tried but I can't open Notepad when I go to Start>all programs>Notepad.  Now nothing happens.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                              « Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 01:42:38 PM »
                              You need to make sure that the shortcut is linked to the right location. Open the shortcut's properties, and see if it's linked to the right file.

Fed

• Sage
                                « Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 06:27:44 PM »
                                Also search your computer for notepad.com, if it's there then delete it.
                                Some viruses install as 'notepad.com' and .com files are read before .exe files.
                                As previously said, make sure the link points to the correct file including the .exe file extension.

patio

• Genius
                                • Maud' Dib
                                  • Yes
                                • Experience: Beginner
                                « Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 07:19:42 PM »
                                Nice catch Fed !
                                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                                  « Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 10:32:28 PM »
                                  Also search your computer for notepad.com, if it's there then delete it.
                                  Some viruses install as 'notepad.com' and .com files are read before .exe files.
                                  Good to know!

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 09:16:35 PM »
                                    When I go to start>all programs>accessories>notepad and right-click on notepad and go to properties, the target says: %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe  and the Shortcut key says: none.  Is that the problem?

Fed

• Sage
                                      « Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 09:58:35 PM »
                                      Is the notepad.exe file on your computer, it should be in the system32 directory.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 08:47:58 AM »
                                        I have one in the system32 file.   I also have another one on my desktop which I use for now until I can figure out how to fix the main problem.

Fed

• Sage
                                          « Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 03:18:27 PM »
                                          Navigate to the notepad.exe in the system32 directory and double click on it, does it then open and work properly?

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 08:19:55 AM »
                                            No I couldn't open Notepad in the System32 directory.  So I tried to replace that version with a working copy I had on my desktop.  I copied it and pasted it into the System32 directory.  I got a pop-up saying Windows didn't recognize this version and it could effect the way Windows worked - do I want to do it anyway?  I said yes since I could open it on my desktop.  Once I copied it, I still couldn't open it.  I can still open Notepad in the Windows folder and on the desktop (which is a version I saved there once I downloaded it from the web) but not in Systems32.

Fed

• Sage
                                              « Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 05:21:44 PM »
                                              I'm concerned about your downloaded notepad.exe, I'd copy a notepad.exe from another XPsp2 computer and put it into your system32 directory.
                                              You have nothing to lose here as you have already overwritten your old notepad with the one you downloaded from the net.
                                              Do you remember where you downloaded it from?

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 09:09:14 PM »
                                                Not off hand, but I have the same copy on my desktop which works fine as well as the one in the C/:Windows folder.  Only the System 32 seems not to work.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 10:41:52 AM »
                                                  Also, a related question:  you suggested to copy Notepad from another XPsp2 computer.  Currently, when I try to open Notepad in the System32 directory (all the other ones I can open) I get a message which says: "Files that are required fro Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized version.  Tomaintain system stability, Windos must restore the original version of these files.  Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD now."

If I do this, am I going to end up having to reload all of Windows XP Pro, or just the files I need?  I don't want to have to start from scratch (which may be why you suggested to get another copy from another XP Pro sp2 computer).

Fed

• Sage
                                                    « Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 12:38:48 PM »
                                                    Use the XP disk if you have it, there may be more wrong than just notepad.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 08:46:23 AM »
                                                      Use the XP disk if you have it, there may be more wrong than just notepad.

Once again, though, if I put the XP disc in, will I essentially be doing a fresh install (ie. will I have to re-install EVERYTHING)? That would be a major drag.  Or would it just fix the problem files and leave everything else alone? ???

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                        « Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 09:09:34 AM »
                                                        You can do a repair install of XP if you got a XP install disc (not to be confused with a OEM recovery disc).
                                                        http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
                                                        This should preserve all your settings and programs and just replace windows. (If you got any important files on the partition it would still be a good idea to back them up though.)

patio

• Genius
                                                        • Maud' Dib
                                                          • Yes
                                                        « Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 10:13:52 AM »
                                                        JohnnyD it's good to see you made it back after all that time...

Follow Deerpark's link above...it's the best guide on doing a repair install there is.
                                                        Read thru it first to get familiar and print out a copy for reference before you begin.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 01:13:05 PM »
                                                          I'm definitely game in trying the repair install.  I'm a little disconcerted by the fact that I may need to buy an additional hard drive to back up things like my iTunes library and other music folders, my movie downloads, photos and just my basic documents.  Unless there's another way to back up 150+ gigs worth of stuff besides another hard drive?   ???

patio

• Genius
                                                          • Maud' Dib
                                                            • Yes
                                                          « Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 05:06:02 PM »
                                                          Well even external HDD's fail eventually so you should consider something more permanent such as Acronis True Image which is an imaging program...your backup images can then be burned to DVD for safekeeping.