Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blocked Outgoing Outlook Email  (Read 2776 times)

halston2003

Blocked Outgoing Outlook Email
« on: September 06, 2007, 05:19:50 PM »
I have a friend who is relatively computer illiterate. On his desktop computer he has Comcast internet, XP, and Outlook 2002. A few weeks ago his wife noticed a popup message stating something to the effect that someone was attempting to use his email address. She was asked if the computer should block this attempt, which would block his use of outgoing emails. His wife clicked, and now they cannot send emails. I tried to help them over the phone, but while I am relatively good with hardware/software, I do not regularly use Outlook. I am not sure if the message was bogus or not. Has anyone had this problem? Thank you for any help.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: Blocked Outgoing Outlook Email
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 09:41:24 PM »
    Do they have an antivirus program? Was the message from that program? If it's the antivirus program that is blocking it, then you need to go into the antivirus program and change the settings. If it is the antivirus, what program is it?

halston2003

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 02:44:59 PM »
    Comp Guy:  He's using the McAfee suite provided with Comcast.  Initially I was thinking it was the McAfee popup blocker, but the antivirus could be the culprit.  Unfortunately his wife does not remember much.  I'll have more info Sunday when I get to his house.  Thank you for the reply.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
      « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 02:52:09 PM »
      Did they get anything new on their computer?

halston2003

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 08:52:46 PM »
      I don't believe so, but they have a high school fresman and a 7th grader.  I'm wondering about the possibility of internet downloads by the kids, who use the computer more than their parents.  I set my daughter up with her own computer so she would stop messing up mine, and that has worked like a charm.  I have to reformat her computer every 6 months or so, but my computer has not crashed.