Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 3.1 over windows 98 fe (((HELP)))  (Read 9244 times)

quinealty

windows 3.1 over windows 98 fe (((HELP)))
« on: November 27, 2004, 12:03:43 PM »
can anyone help me like a fool i loaded windows 3.1 over windows 98 first edition and you can imagine what happened. everything is still in my computer but i can't access it. is there any thing i can do to recover 98 back or have i totally screwed my system and now do i need to format it and start over.windows 3.1 doesn't support my cd drive so i have lost function from it and will have to use my floppy to do anything with it.unless there is some magical key stroke that someone knows.thanx mike

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: windows 3.1 over windows 98 fe (((HELP)))
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 12:07:32 PM »
    Erm, why did you try to install Windows 3.1? I'm pretty resistant to change myself, but not that far. Try booting up your computer with a Win98 startup disk with CD-ROM support. Then insert your Win98 disk and try to reinstall it.

quinealty

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 12:16:00 PM »
    my cd-rom is not working right now because of what i did. the last time i screwed up i did something a lot worse,ityped in delete*.* and everything went on that command but the person i got to look at it took about 10 seconds with a few key strokes and magically everything came back. that person lives in west virginia and now i live in florida

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 12:37:31 PM »
    the magic keys like f8..ctrl f5......returns back to camalot for lottery ;D

quinealty

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 12:46:29 PM »
    i don't know if that key stroke will work or if you are just pulling my chain but right now i would try anything that might help and if not i have a good sense of humor thanx mike

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 01:22:35 PM »
    did you format the c:drive......or fdisk it..........or use the del c:...or any other commands....if you are in win3.1 locate the winfile...does it display your files...
    « Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 01:24:14 PM by merlin_2 »

quinealty

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 01:24:39 PM »
    there were 6 fd that i installed

quinealty

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 01:34:54 PM »
    also i can see the files but i can't really access them and the computer is at a friends that is going to try to remove the hd out of the tower and install it into his computer to see if we can access it that way, then we might be able to copy the files then format the computer and reload 98 back into it so we don't lose everything. fingers crossed

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 01:39:46 PM »
    if you locate the winfile its important to file it and you may stand a chance or restoring your files and win98  the win 3.1 do a  search for the winfile is there somewhere. wherever you loaded 3.1 to c:\windows ....c:\ etc......it bring up at list of what installed...and then locate windows folder /options/cabs/setup....are there important files on this pc...
    ...type dir at the dos prompt..this will also tell you what is in your pc...?
    « Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 01:41:26 PM by merlin_2 »

quinealty

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 01:52:36 PM »
    not really sure if i can do what you say but when my friend returns with the tower i will show him all the info you have given me and maybe he can work this problem out for me. if i need further asst. i will log back on while he is here and take it from there.thanx so much for your help and i will reply back if things work out.thanx again mike

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 02:18:14 PM »
    all win9x systems have the winfile....and another knock for woexp..they dont..another fault....windupxp has.. make it more harder for the users to understand...thats m$ofts game...<checkmate in three moves> win3.1/win9x/winxp...................   a list soon of win9x against winxp recovery procedures is not good.... is the future or m$oft...profit or progress i chose the latter.....